• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ew370

ew370

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

I have a four month old hatchling tortoise, Betty, and I am not sure whether to hibernate her this year or not. I have had her since 6 weeks old and she was gaining weight fine until a month ago when she started to lose weight (from 23 to 20g) and I think that I heard her sneezing. She seems to have been recovered for a couple of weeks now and is gaining weight again (now 26g), but I am not sure whether this means it is a good idea to hibernate her this year or not?
Also I have read a lot about fridge hibernation but live in rented accommodation and the fridge is not very reliable, what is the next best option? 

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Personally I wouldn't hibernate her this year as you have not had her long enough to assess her health properly. Leave it until next year so that you are sure has had a full year to build up her fat stores and you will then be better informed to know whether she is fit and well. x

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

I agree with kelly,give another year to build up as being so tiny are very vunurable

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

I have a four month old hatchling tortoise, Betty, and I am not sure whether to hibernate her this year or not. I have had her since 6 weeks old and she was gaining weight fine until a month ago when she started to lose weight (from 23 to 20g) and I think that I heard her sneezing. She seems to have been recovered for a couple of weeks now and is gaining weight again (now 26g), but I am not sure whether this means it is a good idea to hibernate her this year or not?
Also I have read a lot about fridge hibernation but live in rented accommodation and the fridge is not very reliable, what is the next best option? 

No definitely not. Not because she is too young, but because you think she is unwell. What species is she and where did you get her from. I would never sell a tortoise so small as they can go downhill so quickly if not well.

#5 ew370

ew370

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I do think she is better now but agree that it will be too risky to hibernate her this year. She is a Hermanns, I got her from an approved UK breeder I found through the tortoise trust website. He recommendeds hibernating the hatchlings but I think its best to wait.

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Yes i think its best too as its too risky if you think shes not a hundred percent.i have no experience with hatchings but yes its best to hibernate them from a hatching but to me its too risky that young if your not that experienced with hatchlings but thats just my opinion
Regards matt

#7 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hello

enjoy over wintering your tort this year it will also give you chance to learn more on hibernation ready for next year  and you wont be so nervous,i was a nervous wreck the first year,it does get easier,Sue is an expert at hibernating hatchlings  but like she says she wouldn't hibernate,too risky with the loss of weight.

Jaynex

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Was her sneezing following a bath or drink, as this is normal. Hermanns are not given to respiratory problems as a rule unless the habitat is at fault, so it might be worth addressing the way you are keeping her too. Did you contact the breeder re the possibly health problems, as I know if it was one of my hatchlings, I would want to know ;)  ?

#9 ew370

ew370

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yes her sneezing was after she'd had a bath, I didn't know this was normal, thank you for the advice! I did contact the breeder but her weight loss is still a bit of a mystery, although she is gaining weight very well again now, and never wants to stop eating! I still think I will not hibernate this year though, next year I can be more confident she is all right and know exactly what I'm doing.

Thank you everyone for the help. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibernation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users