• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

Hi I was just wondering will it be ok to start winding down now, as its her first hibernation, I was hoping to wind down beginning of November but she's becoming less active and not much interest in food, ive increased temps slightly to see if this helps, but she's just toddled of to sleep the last day or so after her soak sumitmes has an odd bit of food.

I was going to do 8 weeks.

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

Now would be fine, unless you can keep her going for any longer.  :)

I'm planning on starting my two young one in the few weeks, planning to put them in the fridge at the beginning of Dec. That way it should coincide with the warmer weather in March.

#3 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Kelly, I will do my best to try and keep her going,when I do wind her down I was planning on following you hibernation diary that you posted, wind down for 3 weeks then pop her in fridge. 

Can I please say you hibernation diary post has been an enormous help for a newbie like me.  :thanks:

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

I'm hibernating my new yearling for the first time this year too..... and I've had to devise a different plan for her, as she only needs a two week wind down. My four year old will need three weeks, the same as last year to empty out.

I'm going to have two of them in the fridge this year. I must admit, I'm a bit scared of doing the little 'un, but I felt the same last year about Norman, and he was 3 years old then and it was his first hibernation, but all went well. :)

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

Thanks Kelly, I will do my best to try and keep her going,when I do wind her down I was planning on following you hibernation diary that you posted, wind down for 3 weeks then pop her in fridge. 

Can I please say you hibernation diary post has been an enormous help for a newbie like me.  :thanks:

If it's been a help to you, here' s a revised plan for this year. I've revised all the dates.... ignore the fact that I've added additional weeks....... I'm hoping that Norman will go beyond the 8 weeks that I had planned for last year! ;)

Attached Files

#6 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

Thanks kelly, thats a brilliant plan, will this be ok for me to use as  Daisy is only 154gr and 8.8cm so will that be ok for her?

#7 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'd be inclined to go for a two week wind down for her as she is still small. Norman's start weight last year was 278g when I went for a 3 week wind down.

Here's the one I devised my little one.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users