• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hello, I'm new here - my tortoise isn't moving in until the end of the month but I'm busy getting ready.

I have bought a festuca grass from a local nursery and want to use it in the enclosure as a place for my new hatchling to hide. I read somewhere that they are edible but good in enclosures and tortoises are likely to only take the odd nibble. I have read that you must be careful with plants from garden centres due to fertilizer and pesticides. I have left the grass out, in its pot, over night in the rain to help wash off anything it could have been sprayed with. I have also read that they grow best in poor soil. I have left it in its pot, rather than plant it in the substrate. Do you think this will be safe to keep in there or would I be better to remove it?

Hope someone can advise me- I really want to get it all right!

Katie

#2 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Attached File  1382302858659.jpg   58.75KB   2 downloads

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:02 AM

hi Katie welcome to the forum. :)

it will be fine to leave in, plants don't normally last to long in indoor enclosures with the heat etc.

is that sand in with the soil, if it is I would remove it and just have top soil sand can irritate the eyes.

looking forward to seeing pictures of your new tort, when she arrives. :)

#4 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hello Karen,

Thank you for your reply.

I really thought I had substrate sorted! I had been told that The Tortoise Trust website and Tortoise Protection Group website were both reliable sources and both of those suggested sand/top soil 50/50 as a substrate for Hermann's tortoise :(

So, yes that is sand you can see - the cooler end is just top soil and the warmer end is sand and top soil as I read that the warmer end can be more sandy and arid than the cooler area. I don't want its home to irritate its eyes though! SO I will have to change it! Oops!

Thank you,

Katie x

#5 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum

alot of site's do mention 50/50 topsoil and sand but like Karen says alot of us do just use top soil as the sand can irritate there eyes,i never had much luck with plants in tabletop homes they never survived a day,lol!!,slate is ideal for them to eat from and a piece of cuttlefish in there enclosure my little hatchling midge loves having a nibble of cuttlefish.post some pictures when you have your new little one i bet your getting excited :)  :)  :)

Jaynex

#6 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

So excited! I will certainly be posting pictures (probably lots of them!) and I will stick to topsoil too as I don't want to risk irritating her eyes. I have put a couple of dead nettles and a tiny little aloe vera in there but I am not expecting them to last based on what people have told me lol so I have got pots growing outside and on my windowsills (pretty much anywhere I can find space) to ensure she will have a good range of weeds this winter. Only 1 week to go  :D

Katie

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

Are you getting it from a breeder Katie?

#8 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

Yes, from a lady I found recommended on the tortoise protection trust website :)

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

That's good. Re the sand, I have seen the TT recommend just soil now, so I would imagine they have not updated their website ;)

#10 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

I have changed it to topsoil only now :)
All ready to go. Four days and counting! x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users