9 replies to this topic

#1 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Hello,

I'm researching best foods for my new tortoise (it is just a hatchling and I am due to get him/her in a couple of weeks).

I have read mixed things about fushia and wondered if people could let me know their experience. Some sites say it is great but unread on one it contains raphites (razor sharp crystals) which can damage the throat and mouth!

I have a beautiful fushia plant in my garden and had originally planned to use te leaves and flowers in my tortoise's diet. I'm now wondering if I need to rethink this - especially as she/he (she's a she in my head!) is so young.

Really grateful for any advice...

Katie

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

I have fushia in my outdoor enclosure and to be honest that's the only thing left standing at the end of the year!. Although it's non toxic, I think they instinctively know what is good for them.... mine don't eat it so maybe they know that the odd nibble is all that they should be consuming!

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:46 AM

hi Katie, it's not some thing I've planted in their enclosure, I always use the tortoise table website to see if plants are good to feed or not.http://www.thetortoi...9.asp?catID=440. :)  

#4 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

Thank you, Kelly, I guess they know better than we do about what they like and should be eating. I love the photos :)  

Karen - I have looked at the tortoise table website and that also says to feed in moderation because it could be dangerous (although it does say there has been no evidence of it). I am not prepared to take any chances so will leave the fushias to look pretty in the garden!

Katie :)

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hi kate,
I also have a fushia planted in my outdoor enclser,my torts on the odd occasion have a nibble but dont really go much on it!

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Mine don't eat it either, so even though it's not toxic, it is not really liked by tortoises. Most of the herbs are safe, but mine don't touch those either ;) On the other hand, I have one that would do anything to get to a foxglove, so don't just rely on them knowing as they clearly don't ;)

#7 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

none of my torts like fushcia.

Jaynex

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

My creep just walks through fushias and tramples them to the ground x x x hugs x x

#9 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

I've got a fushcia in the enclosure too, Harry doesn't eat it at all, but likes to use it as shade when the sun's shining.

#10 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

I'm seeing a theme here. After Wednesday I will be able to confirm whether mine will eat it... I'm guessing not though! Thank you everyone! x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users