• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Hi, all,

I'm in the process of winding Harry down for his big sleep, but I've encountered a bit of a problem. I started the wind-down a week last Saturday, but on Wednesday, the crafty herbert got through the barrier and went to his kitchen garden and gorged himself. I therefore began the fasting process again last Saturday, making sure that this time, he couldn't get access to any food. 

What's bothering me is that he is still pretty active, and is wandering around obviously looking for food. I'm worried that's he just not ready; what should I do? Should I begin feeding him again and let him decide when he's ready for fasting, or should I continue to force the fast on him? 

I had no problem last year, he naturally stopped eating of his own accord, but it seems a different story this year.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

If both you and him are happy to keep going a bit longer Graham, then let him eat for a while. If he then shows no sign of slowing down and you wish to hibernate him, then reduce the temps and wait for him to slow down again. If you keep temps up though, then he is likely to keep eating for longer ;) He's probably got used to being spoiled lol

#3 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

Hi, Sue,

Thank you for that, and I'm glad you agree he can go on a bit longer. It's my belief that I should let Harry tell me when he's ready to wind down rather than force it upon him; I'm sure he'll slow up completely when he feels like it. 

It just seems so different to last year, maybe the exceptional summer we had has led to our torts having a longer season this year. Or maybe it's because he's such a nosey parker, he's scared to hibernate in case he misses something  :laugh:

I'll take the barriers down tomorrow and let Harry feast in his kitchen garden, and drop the temps in his house.

Thanks again, Sue, you're a peach xx

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

Hi graham,
Ive also got this problem at the moment,my females are winding down nicely but my male in the other hand is still very active and i know if i offer him food he will bite my hand off lol,ive even started to turn his heat lamp off after a couple hours in the morning but that little heat keeps him charged all day!little monkeys lol
Regards matt

#5 Guest_mediterraneansuze_*

Guest_mediterraneansuze_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

It has been quite mild, and mine have been buzzing around a bit longer than usual, I would agree with the others, if he's happy let keep going a bit longer. Just remember when he does show signs go slowing down , he needs to fast for 3 to 4 weeks.

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

I have been winding my creep down for the past few weeks.... Bathing weekly etc..,, they all seemed very active but suddenly two of the girls dug into the soil, and today another girl has gone. Poor Boy Pebble is wondering where his harem has gone!!! Yesterday he was chasing around like it was Spring x x x hugs x x

#7 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Looks like Harry has finally turned the corner; he hasn't eaten for three days now, and has spent nearly all that time dozing away in the corner of his bed-box. He was most indignant today when I took him out for a weighing, he hissed at me and then went charging off back to his corner to resume his snooze.

Seems the wind-down has finally begun.

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

Good old Harry.... It certainly seems they know when their time has come... X x x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users