5 replies to this topic

#1 skulldilocks

skulldilocks

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hi all,

Really stuck with what to do this winter.

I bought a Hermann back in august and was sold him as being 6 months old. However on his certificate, it says he hatched in 2011. He's around 70g and lives indoors all the time, with a heat lamp and UVA strip. He has top soil as his substrate and has a very good appetite.

Even though he has a hide built into his tort table (with extra top soil for him to bury into), he has started sleeping under some rocks nearer his heat lamp.

He looks healthy and when he's awake he's active but he's certainly been napping a lot more these last couple of weeks. Should I be hibernating? I was told I wouldn't need to because he's always inside and still quite small but I don't know. Do I need extra heat if I do keep him awake.

I'm sure this has been asked a lot but I wanted to check with age and location specific. Many thanks,

Lily

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

I would overwinter him so that you can assess whether he is fit and well over the course of an entire year before hibernating him next winter.

In order to do this you'll need to try to replicate summer conditions for him. Make sure the ambient temperature of your room is about 20oc and that there is plenty of natural light. Your basking spot will need to be 32-34oc. If the conditions are right you should be able to keep him fairly active. They do tend to slow down a little over the winter months and go to bed earlier.... this is fairly normal.

It might be a good idea to remove the rocks from beneath the heat lamp. ;)

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

I agree to remove rocks to a different location. Nothing but soil should be under the heat lamp as rocks can get very hot and little tortoises can dehydrate very quickly if sleeping there. It's concerning that you were told and age, not relating to the certificate. The age is fine to hibernate, but it depends on whether the seller gave you false information because he had not been doing well. Probably best to keep awake this winter, but keep weight gain to a minimum, which is the next best thing to hibernation ;) Good luck

#4 skulldilocks

skulldilocks

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Thanks both, will move the rocks. They aren't directly underneath but will move just in case! He seems to have got bored of the rocks now and buries in a little corner. The hide still remains empty haha :P

Also while on here, now he sleeps in the corner, he's very out in the open and when neither of us are in the heaters are on in the house (just the heat lamp). My boyfriend gets over paranoid about him getting cold and tucks him in with a tea towel. This morning he forgot to take the tea towel off this morning! I'm hoping he'll be able to clamber out, but is there a chance he could like suffocate or overheat! I#'m panicking and live like a half hour train journey away! :(

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

Theres no need to tuck him in at night as your room temperature will be plenty enough for him too keep warm and isnt natural,he will be fine im sure!he will find his way out!i was watching a programme ages ago that a lady had lost her tortoise from her garden but a couple of weeks later she had a phone call to say they had found her in a rubbish bag at the recycling plant all sealed up,so must of crawled in and not realised she was in there but said if it was any other animal they it would of sufocated but torts are very clever as can reduce their heart rate and breathing,this is y it survived! :)
Regards matt

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

Thanks both, will move the rocks. They aren't directly underneath but will move just in case! He seems to have got bored of the rocks now and buries in a little corner. The hide still remains empty haha :P

Also while on here, now he sleeps in the corner, he's very out in the open and when neither of us are in the heaters are on in the house (just the heat lamp). My boyfriend gets over paranoid about him getting cold and tucks him in with a tea towel. This morning he forgot to take the tea towel off this morning! I'm hoping he'll be able to clamber out, but is there a chance he could like suffocate or overheat! I#'m panicking and live like a half hour train journey away! :(

Remind your boyfriend that he is a reptile and as such. cold blooded and no amount of tucking him in, covering him up or providing bedding is going to keep him warm. The only way they can physically warm up is by basking. There is absolutely no way he would warm up unless under a lamp. The tea towel will not suffocate him, but it could easily set fire if he drags it under the basking lamp, so he needs to be left to bury down to thermoregulate as nature intended ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibernation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users