• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

I had some agaves, opuntia and aloe vera plants arrive today from http://www.cactusfortortoises.co.uk/ and I am wondering how to feed them to my hatchling when I get her (ONLY ONE WEEK TO GO NOW!!).

The opuntia seems to come with lots of internet advice (small pads, remove spines and leave glochids in - minding fingers!) but I can't seem to find anything on the agave or aloe vera. Both are listed as fine on the tortoise table website but do I just cut a piece off? Does it need to be a newer leaf? Do I cut it up or leave it as a long piece? Do I need to slice off the prickly edges on the agave? Will cutting bits off affect the plant?

Sorry for all the (probably silly) questions but they come up on food lists so often I am guessing someone else on here probably has one and knows the answers :)

Thank you - Katie 

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

First of all I would make sure the seller has grown them personally with no pestides or other sprays etc. I would advise to remove the glochids as well as the spines as they are all irritant if they get in the wrong places. Having said that, tortoises in the Galapagos Islands eat the whole plant. I cut a tiny slice off and just leave it to the tortoise to eat what it likes, but never a whole pad as they often cause loose poo. Cutting it will not affect the plant other than to encourage it produce new shoots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users