Self Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

I came home from school today to three missing torts..... All have decided to throw in the towel and have given in to shorter daylight and different atmospheric pressure!!!
Although it has been a wonderfully hot (17 degrees), here in Sheffield, nature has taken presidence.
Peta, Martha, and Martha's friend, were a good couple of inches underground tonight. X x x hugs x x

#2 Janst4

Janst4

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

hi my two have self hibernated, they just got slower and slower and ate less and less, eventhough they had the same heat and uv light, they are about 5 years old. I am panicing slightly, how will i know if they are ok, do i weigh them weekly,  how will i know if they wake up?? temperature is about 80 they are boxed with loy=ts of shredded paper, i had no time to prepare they just went to sleep.

#3 Janst4

Janst4

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

i read all the info on here and checked them a couple of hours ago, they had urinated so according to the advice i read i have woken them up theyhave had a long warm bath and are moving around now so the questions i had are no longer relevant.

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

i read all the info on here and checked them a couple of hours ago, they had urinated so according to the advice i read i have woken them up theyhave had a long warm bath and are moving around now so the questions i had are no longer relevant.

Both have urinated? That is very unusual. Are they OK?

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

Yes i agree this is unusal,never had a tortoise urinate once in hibernation!are you planing to keep them awake now due to a warm bath as cold baths are needed so dont get the activated again if your planning to let them carry on with hibernation?
Regards matt

#6 Janst4

Janst4

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

well the problem was i didnt do a wind down as they were quite active for a few days then they started to eat less and less then they dug down and went to sleep so i packed them into a box with loads of shreddings and put them in my sare room the temp was between 5 and 8 degrees, i sont have a fridge, i checked them every couple of days then yesterday the paper was very wet so i had to assume thye had urinated maybe just ine but i didnt know which one so i had to yakke the dcisio to wake them both up. i didnt know wbout the cold bath being better then letting them continue hibernationg, the advice i read said if this happened t wake them then winter them over. this is my first exerience of tortoise in the winter so i was caught on the hop and i prob paniced :wacko2: but they are pretty awake now so what doi i do now? this is very stressful........

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

Well ive never been in that situation but if i come across it i would just give them a cold bath to hydrate them then carry on but i think its down to the individual really as alot of keepers will disagree with that.well to be honest now they are active again perhaps you should keep them awake!hopefully sue (wizzasmum) will be around soon !

#8 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

Hi There,

Once tortoises wake up from hibernation they should never be put back in. As upon waking they will have used up vital energy reserves (Glycogen) and there is a real danger that if they re-enter hibernation they will not have enough energy reserves to wake up a second time and may die. It would be far safer to keep your torts up now that they are awake. Hope this helps.

Take care.

Kind Regards

Freddy

#9 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hi freddy,
I agree with what you are saying but my torts when not put in the fridge take 2-4 weeks to actually settle right down and go to sleep so if they are still at this stage (still awake)and then given a cold bath due to urinating then surely this will be ok as they havnt had to use their emergency Glycogen as were not totally under?
Regards matt

#10 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

Meaning giving them a cold bath so it doesnt stimulate them?im just curious as dont know much bout this as never had to pull a tortoise out during hibernation?

#11 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hi freddy,
I agree with what you are saying but my torts when not put in the fridge take 2-4 weeks to actually settle right down and go to sleep so if they are still at this stage (still awake)and then given a cold bath due to urinating then surely this will be ok as they havnt had to use their emergency Glycogen as were not totally under?
Regards matt

Yes Matt. It is still a risk though. It can be hard to tell whether or not a tortoise is under after 2 weeks or 4 weeks. The problem is they use up their energy reserves (Glycogen) once woken. If torts urinate after a few days of being down then I would say yes re-hydrate them and put them back in but if it happens after a few weeks I would say it is far safer to get them up and keep them up.

Best wishes

Freddy

#12 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

Thanks freddy,im not questioning what your saying as your far more experience than i am i was just curious but as you say better to be safe than sorry :)
Cheers freddy

#13 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

No problem, Matt. You are right to question things. I was the same when I first came on the forum. That's how we learn. :)  

Best of luck. ;)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#14 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Exactly freddy :) if you dont ask then i quess you dont learn :) im most probs 1 of the youngest on here (24)so got along way yet until im a totally qualified tort keeper lol :)
Regards matt :)

#15 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

I think you're doing just fine, Matt. :)

Take care. ;)

Freddy :D

#16 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:19 AM

well the problem was i didnt do a wind down as they were quite active for a few days then they started to eat less and less then they dug down and went to sleep so i packed them into a box with loads of shreddings and put them in my sare room the temp was between 5 and 8 degrees, i sont have a fridge, i checked them every couple of days then yesterday the paper was very wet so i had to assume thye had urinated maybe just ine but i didnt know which one so i had to yakke the dcisio to wake them both up. i didnt know wbout the cold bath being better then letting them continue hibernationg, the advice i read said if this happened t wake them then winter them over. this is my first exerience of tortoise in the winter so i was caught on the hop and i prob paniced :wacko2: but they are pretty awake now so what doi i do now? this is very stressful........

hi I agree with freddy I would keep them awake over winter, you have to make sure you do the wind down correct before hibernating any tortoise.

it might be best for you to do more research on hibernating, and try next year, we have loads of helpful information on this if you want any. :)

#17 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:26 AM

Exactly freddy :) if you dont ask then i quess you dont learn :) im most probs 1 of the youngest on here (24)so got along way yet until im a totally qualified tort keeper lol :)
Regards matt :)

were all young at heart though matt. :lol:

#18 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

Yes Matt. It is still a risk though. It can be hard to tell whether or not a tortoise is under after 2 weeks or 4 weeks. The problem is they use up their energy reserves (Glycogen) once woken. If torts urinate after a few days of being down then I would say yes re-hydrate them and put them back in but if it happens after a few weeks I would say it is far safer to get them up and keep them up.

Best wishes

Freddy

Again, I would love to see actual proof of this, as in the wild they do pop up and down for a time and are OK in the spring, with no post hibernation anorexia. I've always used that rule too until seeing it for myself ;)

#19 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

were all young at heart though matt. :lol:

Again, it's one of those fine line things, but given that the original poster has not really monitored weights and activities during the slow down period, I would be keeping that one up for this winter and monitoring things far closer next year ;)

#20 Janst4

Janst4

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

i think i have been misunderstood, i didnt do the slow down pereiod as i have only had my tortoise since feb this year so i decided to winter them over therefore ididnt  start weighing or slowing them down, they just seemed to slow down themselves over the space of a few days, they ate less, and slept more. I was still giving baths and feeding them but removing anything not eaten. they just stopped eating anything and were sleeping most of the time they dug in and stayed there. as i was not going to hibernate them i didnt have anything prepeared so i put them in a room with a temp of about 5-7deg. they had been there for about 5 days when i noticed the box, they were in was very wet  and as they were both together i couldnt tell if one or both had urinated, so i followed the advice on your front page and got them up. they are eating and pooping well so i will keep them up now. Now i know what to expect and roughly when  I will get organised and try again next year.    :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users