• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hi again,

There are a lot of new fangled ideas today about how tortoises should or should not be hibernated. Personally, I think you did the right thing by following the book and not taking any unnecessary risks. 5 year old torts also need a 3-4 week wind-down or starvation period to clear their gut and be on the safe side. The information you have followed on the front of the forum is based on tried and trusted methods used by many experienced keepers over the years and has worked well. For now I wish you the best of luck with your tortoises. Take care.

Kind Regards

Freddy

#22 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

Again, I would love to see actual proof of this, as in the wild they do pop up and down for a time and are OK in the spring, with no post hibernation anorexia. I've always used that rule too until seeing it for myself ;)

Hi Sue,

There have been recorded fatalities in the wild due to this problem. True, tortoises have  popped up from time to time that have indeed been OK in the Spring but I suspect these were the exception rather than the rule. I certainly wouldn't take the risk with my tortoise nor would I advise others to do the same. ;)

Best wishes

Freddy

#23 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

No, I would not recommend it deliberately either Freddy. I'm just going by what happened in the sanctuary where I worked in Turkey, where apparently they often pop up in a mild spell, go back and are none the worse for the experience. All of these torts were marked for ID and I'm not aware of any having died. I'm wondering how they were monitored in the wild, as there are going to be several torts die in hibernation in the wild anyway, due to old age and possible illness when going down.  Do you have a pointer for the recording of wild fatalities from this practice, would love to include it on my website? Hmmmm, more to ponder ;)  One year I had Russian yearlings that refused to stay up and feed as long as I would have liked. They dug down into the soil and stayed there for several weeks with no wind down and amazingly both came up on the same day and stayed above ground feeding for a few weeks more, when they disappeared again for a week or so before deciding it was a good idea to stay up feeding. These were two of the most beautiful smooth horsfields I have ever bred. I was telling a forum member about it recently but can't remember for the life of me who it was lol Apparently they still have similar patterns in their new home down in Berkshire, causing a lot of concern for the owner, but coming up strong as ever every spring.

#24 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hi Sue,

You are entitled to your opinion . I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.The advice on this forum and others has always been largely consistent on the matter.  Personally,  I wouldn't take the risk with my own tortoise nor would I expect others to. Until there is more broadly agreed and definitive research on the matter I think we should err on the side of caution and continue to follow the tried and trusted methods of our most experienced tortoise keepers. ;)  

Kind Regards

Freddy

#25 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

It's not an opinion Freddy, it's an observation, which is what my website is based upon. I shall say no more on the matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users