Euthanasia

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:24 PM

I realise this is gonna open a can of worms here but I would really like to hear any experiences people have had with having tortoises put to sleep. I only ask because when my friend had her old ill tortoise put to sleep the vets told her it would take a day for it to die. She had to leave it there in the morning and pick it up in the evening. Is this true? I have asked around regarding this and someone told me it's not cause they take a day to die but because it takes vets a day to find a vein. I have also been told it's kinder to put a tortoise to sleep via the "freezer method", whatever that entails. Sorry to be morbid again but these things really interest me and I like to hear other peoples thoughts and views. Thanks Guys:)

#2 Guest_Simon_*

Guest_Simon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:32 PM

Hi Omare, Yes I've heard that about vets taking longer to put tortoises to sleep, my friends girlfriend had a really old tortoise put to sleep and she had to leave it there over night so goodness knows what they do to them. I've been told that tortoises veins are very difficult to find in the leg area so they try to find one in the neck and you know what tortoises are like always putting their heads in, so I would guess it takes a while for a vet to do. I think the freezer method is exactly what it says and I believe it's a much kinder way of putting a tortoise to sleep. They go through a hibernation and then die peacefully. I have a friend that puts sick mantids to sleep this way as sometimes they refuse to eat and get weaker and weaker and they cannot be saved so it's much kinder. I don't know of anyone thats actually used the freezer method but there must be some, maybe breeders.

#3 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:04 PM

The reason vets take tortoises in overnight if the animal is to be euthanased is when the anasetic overdose is administered tortoises often shut down there metabolisum so the drug doesn't take affect animals usually require the anaestic through intravenous drip this floods the system gradually shuting the tortoise down gradually this can take sometime to achieve before true death is finalised , even then another dose of anasectic may have to be administered through the brain i no this sound terrible but the tortoise is now in complete shut down or even died before it is administered

#4 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:18 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-12-05 AT 06:45 PM (GMT)]So is the freezer method less stressful for the animal then?

#5 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:38 PM

I don't know much about this, but I think the freezer method isn't as peaceful as it sounds. There was a thread on exactly this subject on the Yahoo Russian Tortoise forum recently and here is the reply from the Director of Massachusetts Turtle Rescue:
"Its an extremely painful method to utilize and if euthanasia is
preferred lethal injection, just as in dogs in cats and other animals is
the humane method. By freezing a turtle, it doesn't go into simply
hibernation and die peacefully, without pain, rather the tissues
crystallize and this is quite painful for the turtle."

#6 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:48 PM

Thanks Nina for posting that, it's always difficult to know which way is best when putting a tortoise to sleep but we all want to know which is kinder, I'm not sure about the brain injection thing, sounds horrible.

#7 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:47 PM

Well there is little literature on chelonia euthanasia but what i found was that freezing animals is old practice as chilled animals can still perceive pain ,these day euthanasing animals is best done using the lethal injection method as animals go into a deep sleep where another injection can follow usually into the brain, remember the tortoise is out cold and doesn't feel pain, or the animal eventually die's due to a system break down the same way any mammal would be euthanised

#8 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:50 PM

Piglet, where exactly does a vet inject the drug when it puts a tortoise to sleep, leg or neck?

#9 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:13 PM

It depends on how urgent the euthanasia is obviously in a emergency a neck vien is easily sort but it depends on the vet really.
Each summer i have all my med torts blood tested to check for health issues calicum, d3 levels etc my vet always takes blood via a neck vien eventhough there is resistance i don't find it stressful to my tortoises and soon as the procedure is over my animals resume eating and going about there business

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users