New To This Forum.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Probe1961

Probe1961

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Tortoises, Countryside walks, Nature.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hi all, my name is Paul, I'm 52 years old, married with 2 children and live in Ipswich. I have 3 tortoises, 1 male and 2 females. The male is 11 years old the eldest female is 10 and the youngest female is 6. They are all Hermann tortoises and I started my love affair with these fascinating creatures when I bought my male (Herman), 10 years ago when he was just a year old. They have an outdoor enclosure measuring 50ft x 11ft tailored to their needs, and an indoor enclosure for late autumn (wind down) and early spring (too cold) use. This year my eldest female (Molly) laid her first clutch of 4 eggs and after a hastily purchased incubator 2 of them hatched 8 weeks later. The 2 babies are now 5 weeks old and are doing very well. They are in a vivarium at the moment and in our lounge,  where they will be under constant observation over the winter period. As you can imagine, I am chuffed to bits with these two newcomers, I never thought I'd be in a position to rear babies! 

I'm a keen biker and my wife and I love doing long distant walking holidays.

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. We are a friendly, helpful bunch. You will make plenty of new friends here. Look forward to seeing pics and hearing more about your wonderful torts and hatchlings (congratulations!!!). Hope you enjoy your stay. Take care.

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

Welcome and well done on the hatchlings. Do make sure though that if keeping in a viv over winter, that it is at least 3 ft long to be able to get a decent gradient, as babies need just the same care as parents. Good luck with them ;)

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

Welcome to the fourm :)

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

Welcome to the forum Paul, and congratulations on getting the hatchlings. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your three, and their outdoor enclosure x x hugs x

#6 Probe1961

Probe1961

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Tortoises, Countryside walks, Nature.

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for your replies, I'll get some photos together and attempt to post them. :happy:

#7 Guest_mediterraneansuze_*

Guest_mediterraneansuze_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

Hi Paul and welcome, I'm new hear too, so still getting to know everyone.

#8 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:15 AM

Hello Paul

May I ask if you are keeping all your torts, esp the hatclings from last year?  Or might you sell one?

I am looking for a Hermann and have been seeking a breeder locally (I am in Sudbury, Suffolk)

woud you or do you knwo anyone selling a Hermann please

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

You would also need to know the subspecies ditzyangel if looking for another tortoise. There are a lot of keepers mixing subspecies and even breeding from them now, without realising this. Hope this helps ;)

#10 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:54 AM

Have just seen this post .. I lived in Ipswich for 40+ years but am now in Sudbury, Suffolk.  I have two 2 year old Hermanns - but nowhere near the kind of area of space you have!  Wow!  How many Hermanns do you have now - did you keep the babies?  

Pleased to meet you 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users