• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Emma.eds

Emma.eds

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

I am looking at buying or making a tortoise table, I would like to know how big it would need to be for when it grows full size (I know this is a long time off). I am hoping to get one next year after the hibernation period. I would like to let it roam free in the house when I am home, I have no other pets so not worried about it being attacked. I also hope to build a large enclosure outside for the warmer months. Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks Emma xXx

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

While they are youngsters a table between 4 and 6 feet would be desirable depending upon how much space you have. However, be aware that ideally, once adults they should be living outdoors in an insulated, heated shed with access to a secure outdoor area. The more space the better as tortoises in the wild roam over huge areas. ;)

Personally I wouldn't let them roam around the house. Reptiles, aren't like mammals, and need to be kept in the correct environment with access to UVB light and a heat lamp in order that they keep active and healthy. :)

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

I would agree with Kelly, that they should not be confined in a table  when much bigger than hatchlings and certainly not roaming around a house. To keep a tortoise successfully, it needs to have a habitat as close as possible to the wild, which is outdoors. Given that we rarely have the same temps as the Med, we obviously have to supplement heat with lamps in a hide area, but this has to be their choice, so that they can come and go at will. A house  has many perils and will not provide correct light levels, basking opportunities or substrate depths. Being cold blooded, they need to be able to thermoregulate as a reptile does, in the substrate, so hard floors and carpets will unfortunately. They are one of the pets than do no adapt to a persons way of living.

#4 Guest_mediterraneansuze_*

Guest_mediterraneansuze_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Agreed, not ideal to let a tortoise roam round the house, for one thing they will wee and poo every where, and they will not get the basking temps and uv requirements that they need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users