• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

I just want to check... I have calcium dust (99% calcium carbonate designed to be sprinkled on live food originally by Swell Reptile) and nutrobal. Should I be giving a light sprinkling of calcium dust daily and a tiny pinch of nutrobal once a week? I understand you cannot overdose on calcium dust but that you must be careful with nutrobal... I have my hatching (19g and 28g) under a full spectrum uv and heat light.

Sorry for posting so many questions but want to be sure to get it right!

Katie

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

No, nutrobal is designed to be used daily, whereas calcium can be left in a dish for the tortoise to help itself. There seem to be a lot of scaremongers from various groups at the moment, telling people not to use vits etc. The manufacturers recommend dosing daily in very small amounts ( a light dusting or a pinch per kilo of tortoise) for growing tortoises, so very important for hatchlings. All of my tortoises are supplemented daily until full grown.

#3 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

Ok, glad I checked! So for a tortoise that is only 20g it will be a teeny tiny amount of nutrobal daily (not even quite a pinch)?

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

Nowhere near a pinch. I just get a tiny pinch on my hand and blow it over the food, so you can hardly see it. If you can see blobs of white, it is too much ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users