Photo
- - - - -

Lost Tortoise Escaped From Run A Week Ago!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Halosmum

Halosmum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

Hi Can anyone help with any ideas? My 7-8 year old male Hermann escaped from his garden run over  a week ago. I have a large garden but have searched everywhere with a leaf rake and have nover done so much gardening in my life!  Its almost freezing tonight and I am desperately worried he will die with the cold. He has not been hibernated before and usually roams the house and goes in and out of his terrarium under his lamp when he wants at thsi time of year.  He had just had a meal and was large and healthy. He can get through to other gardens but we cannot find him. Would an infra red or thermal camera locate him? I am desperate. He has not been taken as no one can see or get into garden its impossible. Please help!

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

There's a good chance he's dug down to escape the cooler temperatures. Look for anywhere where the soil looks disturbed. Underneath bushes is normally a good place to start looking. x

#3 Halosmum

Halosmum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

Thanks Kelly.  I myself have disturbed ground with the leaf rake.  I am having another look today. Do you think a Hermanns can survive these temperatures - it was minus 1 last night here ?   :(

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

Try doing a fingertip search over every inch of the garden. There have been instances where tortoises have survived if the soil is well drained and they can dig down far enough to escape the freezing temperatures.

Keep looking.... he may still turn up.... particularly if the sun comes out.

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

I had a tortoise which hibernated in the garden for 20 years... If it was a cold winter she dug down deep so I couldn't see her, if the winter was mild I ours always see the too of her shell. X x x hugs x x

#6 Worried

Worried

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:42 AM

Aw no :(

Don't give up looking! They are so well camouflaged! We used to let our tortoise sleep outdoors in the summer. When we wanted to find her on a cold or wet night we would look for hours in our 45ft X 30ft garden, then eventually she would turn up in plain sight, asleep, in a place we had already searched dozens of times, and we just hadn't spotted her! Be sure to thoroughly check your neighbour's garden's too. Maybe they will help.

It's not worth the risk to just hope he survives. Most don't :( Please keep searching! If I lived near you I would come and help!

#7 Halosmum

Halosmum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thank you Stella, Vip, Administrator and others for replying. I have never done so much gardening in my life!  Have literally been down on hands and knees searching everywhere in my garden and the neighbours have looked too - but no sign whatsoever. Have dug under bushes carefully and raked gently all over Halo's favourite corners and places. :mellow:   Will keep searching methodically, its so cold here now - can see my breath in the air. So worried about him been crying lots . Will keep you updated.

#8 Halosmum

Halosmum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

Still no sign :( but going to have another major look . Hope he is safely covered under a big pile of leaves, or hiding under somewhere in shelter.

#9 misspbluedeva

misspbluedeva

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my little Pebble, 2yr old Testudo Hermanni

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

Good luck on your hunt i'm sure you will find you little man, we found our first tortoise after digging up the veg patch we asked about around the neighbourhood but no one claimed her so she adopted us but every year around this time she would dig down and it could take us days until she showed her face. I know how stressful it can be, but dont loose faith keep looking. He could have gone further than two gardens so ask around your street as they like going for a wander. Even though it gives us so much upset and stress. Hope you find you little man  :)

P x

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

I personally don't think he has gone too far. It has been very cold now for a few weeks and I would suspect he has moved slowly tic where ever he is.
Weeks ago mine didn't move far even though they had a lamp to warm them in the first place x x x hugs x x

#11 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

I do hope your little fella turns up; I'm sure he can't be far away.

Sidetracking, I know, but with today's available technology, I'm sure the microchips we have implanted in our torts could have a built-in GPS system; that way, whenever they went missing, we could have them tracked and traced. I think I'll ask the vet about it next time I'm there.

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

That's a brilliant idea Graham :D

#13 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

That is seriously good Graham, it would give another incentive to get our torts chipped!!! However, I always think what Sue said once about chips moving about in torts body!! Is this still a serious concern? X x x hugs x x

#14 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

I've not heard of any lately Stella, but I suppose it depends on how many people actually have them scanned or x-rayed, as this is when it usually comes to light, when being routinely checked for some other problem. The worst I have seen was on an x-ray at the Welsh Mountain Zoo, where a chip had migrated to the front area of the body of a Testudo species, which was a bit scary.

#15 Halosmum

Halosmum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

Still no sign of him :(  Will not give up looking though..

#16 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

He more than likely turn up in the spring x x hugs x.

#17 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yes fingers crossed he will turn up in the spring!best of luck matt

#18 Halosmum

Halosmum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

It s thundering and lightning outside, feel terrible wondering if he is cold, safe, upside down somewhere... Even have a local gardener watching out for him.  I really hope I find him and if not he does turn up in the spring.

#19 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

Quite honestly, I don't think you'll find him now, he's more than likely burrowed deep down to hibernate, and wont reappear. I've heard of dozens of cases like this, only to find the torts emerge in the spring. Keep an eye out come March/April, and hopefully, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise.  :fingers_crossed: :fingers_crossed: Fingers, toes and everything else crossed. XX XX

Do keep us posted.

#20 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

Agreed and make sure your fencing is secure so that when he does pop up, he won't go off in the wrong direction ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users