Photo
- - - - -

Lost Tortoise Escaped From Run A Week Ago!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

Yep, I think that is probably right, he will be well tucked down now. I still believe he will be round his favourite places in your garden.
Come spring keep an eye out, as he will most probably disturb soil as he backs up from his sleep x x hugs x x

#22 Halosmum

Halosmum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

Hi just to let you know that today I actually found Halo !

A gardener in next doors garden found him. He was caked in mud and only semi buried under ground ivy. He was very lucky as the gardener had been burning leaves in piles right next to him.

He was not moving but I bathed him very carefully and he has moved a little. Has been warming under his lamp, not eaten anything and Just asleep in his hay now.

What amazing animals these are. 5 months without food and living in the cold - and he is still breathing and alive.

I am sorry to say I won't be using this site anymore, as it is too difficult to find the place to sign in, also to find my previous posts. Too confusing.  Thanks to the members who offered advice.

#23 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

Brilliant news. :)

Sorry to hear that you're leaving us though. :( 

You'll find your navigation panel at the top right of the screen when your are on the forum's home page. Here you will find your log and to find all the content you've posted you simply have to click on your user name then on "My Content" and all your old posts will be displayed.

#24 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Just in case Halo's mum is still looking in - well done on finding him and whatever happens, do keep him awake now and feeding and check for possible eye damage, due to freezing temps if he was not completely buried. Signs of this are circling and not eating, despite hydrating and temp increase.

Not sure why the site is difficult to navigate, it's easier than some ;) 

Good luck

#25 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

Brilliant news that Halo has been found!!! As Sue says, this site is much easier to use than some..., sorry you find it tricky Halo's mum x x x hugs x

#26 Halosmum

Halosmum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

H just to let you know that my tortoise turned up!  The neighbours gardener was burning twigs and weeds and found him in the centre of the garden only semi buried under lots of ground ivy. He was caked in mud and very grumpy when peeled out of the ground..

He actually was very lucky not to have been burned in a twig pile. I have bathed him in warm water and he slept for another 3 days but is wide awake and eating now. He is bigger and stronger and seems none the worse for wear. What miraculous creatures they are. Thanks to everyone who replied especially the lady who said he will not be far. It was true he was only 15 feet away ..

#27 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

It's great news that you have found him :) . Sounds like he took himself off into hibernation and, fortunately, this winter's weather has not been as harsh as some. As has been advised you will need to make sure he stays awake now.

At his age you might want to think about hibernating him in future. I know it can be a bit daunting (and I've just taken on two hatchlings and, although apprehensive about it, will probably hibernate them next year - assuming they're in good health) but have always hibernated my own long standing Hermann tortoise (who's been with me for nearly 40 years).

I'm new to this forum, having been directed to it when I took on my new babies, but my experience suggests there are plenty of people here who are very knowledgeable and experienced and can offer good advice and support.

All the best,

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users