• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ponge69

Ponge69

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

My vet advised putting Fred in the fridge to bring on hibernation as he hadn't eaten for almost 4 weeks. I did this, fridge at 4 degrees, 2 weeks ago.
When I checked this morning Fred has moved and is definately not asleep!
I can't see any wee or poo.
Has this happened because he is in our fridge and has been disturbed by us using the fridge? I know it's not an ideal scenario but Fred has box hibernated for the last 38 years and this years weather really messed him up.
The vet knew we only had the family fridge but said he would shut down and would be fine.
What do I do now? Wake him up, make him colder? Do I need to buy a new fridge?
Thank you for any help.
Angie

#2 Foxjo

Foxjo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Animals. I love my animals!!
    Cross stitching and making things.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hi I know this is scarey! I set my domestic fridge up for three weeks before hibernation date, I could not get the fridge to stay stable (I used all the water/stacking tricks and this didn't work).

I then bought a hibernator fridge and this will only set at 5-7 degrees. My tortoise has been in now for three weeks and I did have a wobble that she was dead (limp) but now shes settled down- she does move if I open the lid but shes not digging away or trying to get out.

Is Fred in an insulated box within the fridge? Because if he is he should move slightly. Is he losing a lot of weight or is it now steady? Weight should give you a better indication of his "movements".

Try not to panic ( I know its hard not to)

lots a hugs

Fox xx

#3 Ponge69

Ponge69

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

Thank you Fox,
I rang the vet and he too said not to worry too much but the use of the fridge is probably disturbing him.
So now to buy a new fridge! If only they made hibernation fridges!
Angie x

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

My vet advised putting Fred in the fridge to bring on hibernation as he hadn't eaten for almost 4 weeks. I did this, fridge at 4 degrees, 2 weeks ago.
Has this happened because he is in our fridge and has been disturbed by us using the fridge? I know it's not an ideal scenario but Fred has box hibernated for the last 38 years and this years weather really messed him up.
The vet knew we only had the family fridge but said he would shut down and would be fine.
Thank you for any help.
Angie

hi you really need to use a separate fridge for hibernation, using your own wont work as well as every time your in there the temps will change, they do take some time to settle down into hibernation.

it would be better for him if you could get him his own fridge.

has he lost much weight. :)

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thank you for any help.
Angie

Hi Angie,

I agree with Karen. It would be better if Fred had his own fridge. The constant use of his current fridge could be disturbing him. If you are to continue to use it for Fred's hibernation It might be best to move the foodstuffs to another fridge and leave Fred as is. I would also keep an eye on fridge temps and Fred's weight to make sure he doesn't lose too much. Personally, I feel it is better to keep the same hibernation method for a tortoise particularly when it has hibernated a certain way for so long. I have used the box method in my garage for my 50 year old female THB for the past 30 years. I find she is now used to her hibernation routine. I have never had any problems with her so have never had the inclination to change her hibernation method. Hope this helps. 

Kind Regards

Freddy

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

Also reptiles can carry salmonella so not a good idea to keep in your domestic fridge any way!

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Also reptiles can carry salmonella so not a good idea to keep in your domestic fridge any way!

So do eggs and chicken lol - Sorry couldn't resist. I would rather find a tortoise in my fridge than a piece of dead body ;) Seriously, I have used the salad drawer to start little ones off if the weather outdoors is not good.

#8 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

Ha yes didnt think of that sue,but torts arnt the most hygenic things to have in your fridge tho lol.r

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

No, they aren't that's true. Sorry, I am veggie and can't stand the thought of something dead in there lol

#10 Foxjo

Foxjo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Animals. I love my animals!!
    Cross stitching and making things.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

I agree if you get another fridge keep the food in there and leave Fred where he is as it takes a while for the "new " fridge to regulate.

Good luck! x

#11 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

I totally understand sue if your a veggie :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users