• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 vicky

vicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

My fridge has been running a few days now it is filled with filled water bottles plus the hibernation box ready for next Friday, I have been monitoring the temps and would just like someone to have a look at them to see if they are ok! This is my first time hibernating my tortoise and want to get it right. Also my tortoise is about 40 and I have rehomed her, nothing much us known about her history, is it ok to use the fridge method if she has previously been hibernated using the box method?

08.15 am. 4.4
08.21. 3.9
08.22 am. 4.0
08.55 am. 6.2
09.05 am. 6.7 fan turns on
09.15 am. 5.6
09.45 am. 5.3

Over a period of 24 hours the coolest the fridge has been is 3.9 and the warmest 6.9
Thanks for your help

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hi Vicky,

Your average fridge temps sound good to me. You should be aiming to keep fridge temps above 3C and below 6C.

Although it is preferable to keep the same hibernation method for a tortoise, using the fridge method doesn't really pose a problem unless your tortoise is having difficulty settling. The advantage of the fridge method is that it provides stable temps and allows you to stay in control of the process. This is good if you are inexperienced or are hibernating a tort for the first time.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your torts hibernation. 

Take care.

Kind Regards

Freddy

#3 vicky

vicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Many thanks for your reply, do you think I should turn the fridge up slightly so it is a bit cooler?I'm just worried it will go under 3 degrees. I have become obsessed with fridge monitoring and have spent ages standing by the fridge recording temps lol

#4 vicky

vicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

Also I have an added problem two more thermometers arrived this morning, I have got the probes dangling into the hibernation box, each one has a different reading!!

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

After moving a fridge it normally takes a week or so for it to settle properly anyway. I bought a new one for my to this year and have had it running for the last 4 weeks, filled with water bottles. The temps are now running between 4.8 and 5.2oc which is spot on..... Give it a while longer and you'll find everything will settle down nicely. ;)

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

Also I have an added problem two more thermometers arrived this morning, I have got the probes dangling into the hibernation box, each one has a different reading!!

The fridge thermometers are normally correct between 0.5oc, so don't panic. :)

#7 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hi, Vicky, I know from experience that it's really easy to get a bit obsessed with the fridge temperatures, so you're not alone.

Quite honestly, it's no good looking at them every half-hour, they will fluctuate in this time; it's much more accurate and reassuring to take the average on a daily basis, and as long as they don't go outside the safe parameters, you have nothing to worry about. You'll find, too, that it'll take a day or two after putting tort in there for the temps to stabilize again, due to the mass and body heat of your pet.

Also, just to back up what Kelly has said, no two thermometers will give an exact same reading; you can well expect a difference of half a degree or so.

Keep us posted, and if you have any worries or problems, we'll help all we can.

#8 vicky

vicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Thankyou all so much for your advise, I now have four thermometers, each showing different temps lol I'm not stressing too much as they are a all within safe parameters. Today is H day, am very nervous about it as it is the first time I have ever done it (Joey is an old hand at it I would imagine), I have just put her in the porch to cool a little before putting her in the fridge. One other thing I am worrying about, what happens if we have a power cut? How long will the fridge keep cool for? Thanks

#9 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

I have a thermometer in my porch to keep an eye on the temperatures in there. In the event of a power cut I found that the temperature's are usually between 6 and 8oc when it gets really cold in the winter, so I could use this area for a short period of time. However on warmer days it does get up to 12oc, so I'd just have to gauge it. If the temperature outside on these days is between 2 and 8oc I have always though that I could always use the shed until the power resumes.

Put a thermometer in different areas around your home to find any cool spots that you could use. For the short term as long as the fridge isn't opened during this time, you'll find that the temperature should remain fairly constant.

#10 vicky

vicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

That's good thinking, I shall buy some more thermometers lol thanks for your help, right the time has come I am going to put her in now :/

#11 vicky

vicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

Hi, so far so good! We did have a power cut a couple of months ago, but luckily it was a chilly evening and my front porch was the correct temperature for an emergency! My next question is Joey has been in the fridge 15 weeks, how much longer should I keep her in, she is 40 years old, not much is known about her history as she was rehomed.

Thanks

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

If this is the first time you have hibernated her, I would get her out now - is her weight stable?

#13 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

Hi Vicky,

I agree with Sue and would take her out at 16 weeks maximum. You will need to provide temporary accommodation indoors for Joey with heat and light on days when temperatures are poor outside. Best of luck.

Kind Regards

Freddy 

#14 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

I agree 16 weeks max especially if first hibernation then i would be looking to hibernate for a max of 12 weeks but im sure all will be well if woken up asap
Regards matt

#15 vicky

vicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

Hi everyone, just to let you all know, after all my weeks worrying, Joey was fine following my first (not hers) hibernation, thankyou for all your help and advice, it has been a godsend for a new tortoise owner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users