Hazel And Norman Are In

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hazel went into the fridge today after a perfect wind down. She started at 88g (mostly in poo I think, there was LOADS of it! :rofl:) and only lost 6g in the first week. The second week she really slowed down naturally and has had no weight loss whatsoever. :)

After spending this morning in her hibernation box in the porch (at 9oc) to cool down from 16oc in her table, she's now started her first hibernation. She's so tiny bless her. :wub:

Norman's going to follow her on Sunday. He's got the rest of this week to go on his wind down period as he's a bit bigger. I'm aiming for at least 10-12 weeks for him this year. He made just over seven last year before I panicked and woke him up because he defecated, then urinated and then his weight dropped to the 10% mark. :unsure2:

See you in 8 weeks, Hazel. :fingers_crossed: I'll miss you. xx :sob:

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

I hope everything goes well with Norman and Hazel's big sleep, Kelly; it's a worrying time isn't it? Roll on the spring so we can have our torts (and breath) back again.

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

Hazel will be fine.... Roll on the spring x x x hugs x x

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

hi Kelly,

hazel and norman will be fine, sounds like the wind down went well.

we do miss them, but they'll be back up before you know it. :)

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

That's great, Kelly. I Know Hazel and Norman will be just fine. :wub:  Best of luck with their hibernation. ;)

Kind Regards

Freddy :)

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

Norman went in on Sunday too, and the tortoise table has been cleaned out and stored ready for in a few months time. It's lovely to get half of my bedroom back, but it now looks so empty without them there. :cry:

I checked Hazel over this morning, she's gained a gram since she's been in (probably from the moisture in the soil) and Norman has also settled nicely. :thumbup:

#7 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

I checked on Hazel this morning and she'd moved position and pooed..... but I'm not sure if she's urinated too...  :unsure2:

The soil seemed dry enough beneath her and her cloaca seemed dry, however I'm unsure because there was what looked like a tiny amount of urates there .... should I wake her? If I was 100% sure that she's wee'd I'd have no hesitation in getting her up..... but because I'm uncertain I'm not sure what to do for the best. She's lost 3g as a result and only has 1g to go before she reaches the 10% weight loss mark anyway.

What does everyone think?...... She's been in for 5 weeks now.

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

Is the substrate damp? If so, I would keep an eye on her weight over the next few weeks and leave her be for now. If the substrate is dry, it could be leeching moisture away from her, which produces weight loss.

#9 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

No damp substrate beneath her.... so I don't think there was an significant fluid loss. I think most of the weight loss was due to defecation...She only has 1g to go before she reaches the 10% weight loss mark though. :unsure2:

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

I meant, was the substrate damp all over, as it should be very slightly ;)  Were you counting the weight loss from start of wind down or hibernation? I have found in the past that torts in dry substrate lose a fair bit more weight and so well hydrated substrate will encourage hydration of animal, making things much safer ;)

#11 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

No the substrate was damp out of a new top soil bag when I put them both in the fridge, then I misted it once or twice a week to keep it moist. However, the top crust had dried out a little as I was due to spray it that day. 

Hazel was 88g when I started her two week wind down. By the time she went into the fridge her weight was a constant 82/83g and her weight only dropped on Tues after she'd pooed. When I weighed her this morning she'd lost another gram.... so all in all since the start of her wind down she's now lost 10% of her body weight, so I've now brought her out of the fridge. I don't want to take any chances as this is her first hibernation, as she is still only tiny. She's only managed just over 5 weeks ..... I was hoping to reach 8, but I suppose it's better than not hibernating her at all.

I brought her hibernation box into the living room while I took my dog out to brace the elements and go on a weed hunt, and by the time I got back she was walking around with her eyes open. She's had a warm bath, a long drink and a few nibbles of cucumber already to rehydrate her and get her taste buds going again. :)

There's a nice selection of her favourite weeds in her tortoise table now. at least all this rain and mild weather has been good for something.  :D I was surprised by the selection I found..... dandelion, sow thistle, shepherds purse, plaintain, hawsbeard and a tiny bit of bittercress. :thumbup:

#12 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

I've just been up to check on her..... Her shell temperature is reading 31oc and she's now tucking in heartily to her food. :wub:

#13 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

P1012845_zps03a51022.jpg

P1012867_zpsa914b1fa.jpg 

P1012872_zpsa0ac2349.jpg 

P1012873_zps0abe6522.jpg

P1012881_zpsc3b91300.jpg 

#14 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

What a chubbalub!!! :ohmy: I've just been upstairs and she's virtually polished off EVERYTHING..... except a slice of cucumber!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I only put in a selection so she could have a choice and she's wolfed down the lot. :blink2:

I just weighed her again and she put on 1g in fluid after her bath and now 2g after her pig out...... oh well I suppose it is Christmas.... we're all entitled to have a gorge out!! :rofl: :JC-hysterical:

She can go on a diet next week and get to a respectful 2-4g per month! :winkgrin:

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Be careful not to let her eat too much at this stage as her stomach has not been working for over a month. Slowly is the way to go after hibernation, same as in nature ;)

#16 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

I think more careful monitoring is in order for this little piggy lady! Here was I thinking she'd not have much of an appetite for a few days and would need tempting! How wrong could I be, eh? :rofl:

#17 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Well, I just did Norman's weekly check . He's been in 8 weeks today and his weight is still constant. :) With any luck he should reach the 10-12 week mark, as planned this year. :fingers_crossed:

#18 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

that's great Kelly, sounds like every things going to plan. :thumbup:

#19 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

That's what I though last year until he urinated seven weeks in. Hopefully he'll cross his legs for a bit longer this year!! :rofl:

#20 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

:lol: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users