Hazel And Norman Are In

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

Norman will have done ten weeks in the fridge by tomorrow..... do I stick at the ten weeks and wake him up tomorrow or extend to twelve? Will this be too long?

He's four years old and this is only his second hibernation.He only managed 7 weeks last year. His weight has remained nice and steady over the entire 10 weeks. 

What does everyone think? 

#22 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

Hi Kelly,

I would leave him for the 12 weeks. His hibernation seems to be going well. :)

Well done! ;)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#23 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

Hi Kelly,

if every thing seems fine I would leave him, you can always wake him up if any thing changes. :)

#24 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

I checked him again today and all still looks good. He seems to be losing a gram a week now, so I think he seems to be naturally coming to the end anyway.

He's got a way to go before he reached his critical weight of 296g (he's currently 304g) so unless he urinates, I think he should be O.K. :)

#25 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

Is his substrate still damp Kelly - sounds as though he is doing great :)

#26 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

Yep. It looked like it had dried out a couple of weeks ago so I re-watered it.

Last year I was so worried about getting the humidity right that think I watered the substrate so much that I water logged it!! I reckon that's the reason he urinated. :blush: This year I've been more careful this year to get it just right.

#27 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Haha, that's likely what caused it, he would still have been fine though if in damp substrate :)  I will be glad when all mine are up again :D

#28 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Well, Norman's only got another 2 weeks. Hazel looks bored without him. I bet she'll be glad to see him up and about too. She's in the small table at the minute because she'd get lost in the big one on her own. ;)

#29 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

:yay: Yay! Norman's up. :D

He had a warm up for an hour or two, a bath, a bask and has already had a couple of slice of cucumber to tempt him and rehydrate him. :)

Hazel's not left his side. She spent ages sniffing him when she first saw him and has been following him around like a lost lamp ever since, resting her little head on his shell as they bask under the lamp together. :wub:

#30 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

That's great news, Kelly, I bet Hazel's so glad to have Norman back with her. :D

Harry's due up in three weeks, can't wait to see him properly again.

Let's hope for an end to all the rain, and a good summer to get our torts back into the land of the living.

#31 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

That's great news, Kelly. Glad to hear Norman's back and has an admirer in Hazel. Best of luck with Harry too, Graham.

It will be great when we have all our torts safely back. ;)

Roll on Summer! :)

Best wishes

Freddy :D

#32 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

My Russians are all up this weekend too, seems to be a popular weekend for waking them. The hermanns are still in apart from one rogue who went down late and decided he/she would get up early too. Albert  did spend a lot of time in aestivation though, so maybe it's a case of tort knowing best this time :)

#33 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

It looks like we've all timed it just about right as Spring it well and truly on its way. Hazel had two days last week where she could spend a few hours outside enjoying the spring sunshine. Poor old Norman missed out as he was still in the fridge at that point.

Hopefully they'll be a few more nice days to come in the next few weeks, so he can get outside too  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users