7 replies to this topic

#1 Cerys

Cerys

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hello :)
I'll be getting my new hatchling next week. I've done a lot of research and found so many contradictory things..
So I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice?
It'll be in a tortoise table with topsoil as a substrate. I've been told I need to keep this damp and maybe put some moss at one end, will this be okay?
Also, what should I be feeding it?
Any help would be great, thanks.
Cerys :)

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

Yes you're advice sounds spot on. You'll find that your hatchling will spend a lot of it's time burying itself, and a nice moist soil is crucial in order that is does not dehydrate. Sphagnum moss is great for holding the moisture and babies love to bury themselves in it. Put it inside a hide so that they have a humid area to retreat to if they so wish.

A weed only diet is the way to go. For a small hatchling, you should have no problem finding suitable food stuff, even if you're overwintering. Just remember to collect enough if snow is forecast. If you wash them and store them in an airtight container in the fridge they last for a week or two. ;)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:49 AM

hi cerys, 

welcome to the forum. :)

it is best to water your substrate every few days, then let it dry naturally so the top dries but the soil underneath stays damp, this is better for your hatchling to dig down into on a night.

in my hatchlings table I put in a few plants , they dig down under these on a night as well.

you might find this helpful    http://www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm.

and also this is a good one on what to feed and what's not good to feed. http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp

any questions you have just ask, there's always someone around to help. :)

#4 Smudger80

Smudger80

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

Hi all

Can someone give me some advice on Sphagnum moss mentioned in the posts, how wet does it need to be ?

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

I soak it and then drain the access water off, then spray it every few days to keep it moist. It absorbs LOADS of water, so give it a good soaking to start with. ;)

#6 Smudger80

Smudger80

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

Thanks Kelly

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

Hi all

Can someone give me some advice on Sphagnum moss mentioned in the posts, how wet does it need to be ?

If you are going to water your enclosure, you will not need damp moss as the tortoise will get all it's humidity requirements from digging down into natural substrate as in the wild. Sphagnum is used more for redfoots and tropical species ;)

#8 Smudger80

Smudger80

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for all the advise. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hermann, food, substrate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users