3 replies to this topic

#1 Piddy123

Piddy123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

Hi,

I have two hermanns which are coming up to 3 years old. They weigh 44g, length 6.1cm and 55g, length 6.4cm.

I am planning on hibernating them using the fridge method for 6 weeks. How long would you suggest the wind down period would need to be to fully empty their gut?

This will be my first hibernation, they were hibernated last year by the breeder.

Thanks

Chris

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hi Chris,

According to this site the recommended hibernation length for a 3 year old tortoise is 8 weeks with a wind-down period of approx 20 days http://www.hermann-t...downperiod.html                                          

Hope this helps. Take care.

Kind Regards

Freddy 

#3 Piddy123

Piddy123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for your reply Freddy.

I have started their wind down today, with the view to putting them in the fridge on the 20th December. I am in the process of stabilising the fridge temperatures with two remote sensors and bottles filled with water.

They have been hunting for food today. Should I be concerned that they are trying to eat the topsoil during wind down?

Thanks

Chris

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

Hi Chris,

Some torts can eat topsoil at the best of times. It is unclear whether this is a reaction to starvation or if it is just something they do at certain times. I have heard tell that it can be due to a lack of texture or taste in the diet. Either way I don't know whether there is a lot you can do  if they are in a topsoil enclosure apart from keeping an eye on them to make sure they don't eat too much. Hopefully, there will be others along shortly to offer you more helpful advice. Take care.

Best wishes

Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users