• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

Have had my two yearlings since August (got them from Sue Wizzasmum) but thought I'd put my questions on here so that they might help others (rather than contacting Sue directly).
Sue hibernated them last year & I am coming up to the time to make a decision as to whether to do the same this year. I have larder fridge, boxes & thermometers etc.
They are in a tortoise table with soil & coco- fibre substrate with heat/ light lamp & temps at 30-32 & 18 presently lamp on for 12 hrs/ day. Both bathed daily. Weed only diet with supplements.

Aloysius (A) is very active gets himself up & potters around all day, eating voraciously.
Weights 170813 44g
140913 42g
121013 45g
161113 53g
So took a while to settle but has now put on a lot of weight suddenly- restricting weeds now!! Worried that's much too fast & could affect his shell?!

Ulysses (U) only really gets up when I wake him, basks for about 20mins, eats ok & then digs down again.
Weights 170813 48g
140913 50g
121013 48g
161113 54g
So I think that weight gain is ok?

Advice would be much appreciated. I believe at this age/ weight they would only need 2 weeks wind down & 8 weeks hibernation. So thinking of putting them in fridge at end of December.
Thanks.

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hi There,

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. As long as your torts are healthy and a good weight and you are well prepared I don't see any reason why you should not hibernate Aloysius and Ulysses at the end of December (Great names by the way!)  :)

Two to two and a half weeks wind-down and eight weeks hibernation sounds about right to me.

Hopefully Sue AKA Wizzasmum will be along shortly to offer you more helpful advice. In the meantime, take care and best of luck!  ;)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#3 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

Thanks Freddy. Should I use the Jackson ratio thingy?- or are they too small for it to be meaningful? They do seem healthy but it is a bit nerve racking isn't it? I'm not telling anyone else (not on the forum) any more because I just get so many 'helpful comments from 'experts' who once had a garden tortoise in the 70's (that lived 10 years?!!) & who think a tortoise in the fridge is bound to suffocate etc etc?!!!

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

Yes. Sometimes too much advice can be confusing. Here is a link which you may find useful  http://www.tinytorto...tio charts.html

Hope it helps. ;)

Best wishes

Freddy :)

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

I don't use any ratios for my tortoises as they all vary so much. The ratios were compiled from wild tortoises and so, unless your tortoise has grown exactly as a wild one there is no way it could be accurate, plus tortoises from different areas vary in shape too, so it must only be used as a guide. If you use it one year and hibernate your tortoise safely, then you can use the ratio calculated the next year to see if it is on the same lines. I have an elderly tortoise, that is somewhat elongated, which always comes out on the chart as underweight and yet she is solid as a rock, another very rounded female always comes out as overweight, so it's not really a lot of use ;)  Hope this helps.

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hi Sue,

A quick question concerning hatchlings and the Jackson Ratio. Just wondering if there would be much difference in shape and size between captive bred hatchlings and their wild counterparts particularly if they had slow growth patterns and if so would the jackson ratio be still useful in such cases? Admittedly, I am not very experienced when it comes to the care and hibernation of hatchlings but I would be interested to hear your thoughts nonetheless. ;)

Many thanks.

Freddy :)

#7 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

Great thanks. Well I guess it's all stations hibernate then!! Will get fridge on & filled with bottled water!! My son had picked up some decent bottled water in the supermarket- but I had to admit that even for my gorgeous 2 torts - the bottles at 17p would be satisfactory?!!
Kate

#8 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

I drink the bottles in my fridge, then refill them with tap water! :rofl:

#9 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

O yes- good idea!!!

#10 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hi, what I like about the bottled water from the shops is the fact that the top is sealed and won't leak if it has to placed on it's side in the fridge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users