Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hi guys
This year ive let my little friends hibernate naturally in their encloser in the outbuilding and not in the fridge but over the last couple days the tempts are up and down hitting around 10c and have noticed they have moved around a little but dont really know what todo wether to set the fridge up or not as its been 4-5 weeks since they have been in now for hibernation or just leave them?
Cheers matt

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

Ive just weighed them after 38 days of beeing in and my females were burried down and were fast asleep but my male never burries down and was on the surface and when i weighed him he slowly opened his eyes looking at me the little devil so ive reburried the females and have put the male in the fridge in a plastic box with topsoil as its nice and dark in their and its holding 1-2c colder in their with out being switched on!the male had gained 10g and one of the smaller females had gained 10g too so at least i got the humidity up nicely!

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hello Matt, I have hibernated mine for the last few years in the soil in the lodge. Yes temps do fluctuate by degrees depending on the sun etc but to be honest it hasn't ever affected my torts. Yes they move about under the soil, but it does tend to be cool down there and damp. I have never had any weight loss and on a few occasions even a gain. The temps are set to 5degrees.
I worried last year about one not digging into the soil, she just sat, sometimes with her head out though her eyes closed. I placed a dish of water for her just in case and checked her regularly. She came out of hibernation the same weight she went into it!!
This year all torts except the same girl are under the soil.... I guess she will always be a bit difficult.
Some of the torts I have have been rehomed, some had never been hibernated, others had been used to other methods, but they all took to naturally digging in and hibernating until the spring x x x hugs x

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hello Matt, I have hibernated mine for the last few years in the soil in the lodge. Yes temps do fluctuate by degrees depending on the sun etc but to be honest it hasn't ever affected my torts. Yes they move about under the soil, but it does tend to be cool down there and damp. I have never had any weight loss and on a few occasions even a gain. The temps are set to 5degrees.
I worried last year about one not digging into the soil, she just sat, sometimes with her head out though her eyes closed. I placed a dish of water for her just in case and checked her regularly. She came out of hibernation the same weight she went into it!!
This year all torts except the same girl are under the soil.... I guess she will always be a bit difficult.
Some of the torts I have have been rehomed, some had never been hibernated, others had been used to other methods, but they all took to naturally digging in and hibernating until the spring x x x hugs x

I would not trust a tortoise that is not properly buried, they don't always know what is best. Any that vary from the norm would be dug out and hibernated artificially if they were mine ;)

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

She has now gone under the soil.... So all are hibernating nicely x x x hugs x x

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

I certainly feel happier that is for sure. X x x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users