2 replies to this topic

#1 liamw

liamw

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hi all,

I haven't got my hatchling yet, but will have on Thursday. I just want to make sure im fully prepared, and know what to do.

The new rabbit cage i got delivered today is 120cm in length, 59cm in Width. For the lighting/heat, i've gone for a Powersun uvb basking lamp 100W.

few questions,

Is this "all in one" going to be enough lighting, if placed in the near far corner?

Should i get a tube?

Do i switch the lamp off at night time? to replicate day/night. IF SO, what time do i have it set back on in the morning?

I will have a timer socket in place.

Thanks in advance 

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

Personally I wouldn't put your basking light in the corner, because tortoises have a tendency to pace the perimeter of their enclosure and use the corners as a turning point where they are more likely to topple onto their backs. If this were to happen under the basking light when you were out, your baby could very quickly overheat and die if it were not able to right itself.

Much better to position the lamp on the straight edge, well away from the corner. :)

Due to the size of your enclosure, it may be a good idea to get additional lighting.... purely to maintain activity levels while overwintering. You may find the other end too dark otherwise.

You won't need any additional heat/light over night, so everything can be turned off. The ambient temperature in your home should be fine. Try and aim for at least 10 hours of light per day, similar hours to what would be expected for late Summer, early Autumn.

#3 liamw

liamw

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

Ah ok, spot on.  

Thanks for the infortmation  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users