• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

Getting ready to hibernate Aloysius & Ulysses- yearlings that were hibernated by Sue (Wizzas mum ) last year as mentioned in previous post. Fridge all sorted & temps good.
Just a few more questions please-
Is it ok to put them in a separate 'Tupperware' boxes with lids on & holes drilled in top, inside a cardboard box with polystyrene in between? Topsoil to burrow down into- should this be left dry? Should I worry about humidity?
I believe they should only be wound down for 2-3 weeks?- so which bit do I shorten - if you get what I mean?! Do I still spend about a week reducing heat/ light?

Is it 'normal' that they should be more active now than they've been since I got them? - up all day stomping about & then not settling down until light goes off? (I did have to replace my bulb recently & this one is higher wattage?!)

Thankyou so much for your help.
Katy

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

If they are still very active Katy, they are too warm. Too much activity means more weight loss, which you don't want. By the end of wind down, coming up to 20 days, they should be inactive as light and heat should be reduced right down in readiness to go into the box. I put my little ones in together, but it is OK to do them separately if you like. You don't need lots of insulation if they are going into the fridge as the fridge keep temps static. Soil should be slightly damp but not wet in order to maintain hydration. Humidity in the fridge can be maintained by adding a bowl of water. Hope this helps :)

#3 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

Thanks Sue, that's great. The temp probe had got moved a bit so probably wasn't giving me an accurate temp. Have raised lamp.
Katy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users