3 replies to this topic

#1 Piddy123

Piddy123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hi,

I have noticed this morning that Marlene has done an unusual poo. On closer inspection it looks like lots of tiny worms.

I have two torts which I started winding down on the 1st December but noticed Marlene was loosing too much weight so decided to over winter her.

My other tort is now in a separate area and seems to be winding down ok. She has lost a total of 4 grams. At the start of wind down she was 55g and is now 51g.

If Marlene does have worms is there a strong possibility that Minnie will also have them as they usually live in the same table. Should I abandon wind down?

If this is a worm problem how do I get it resolved?

Any help is much appreciated.

I have attached a picture.

Thanks

Chris

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

That's a very heavy burden and it is certain that the other one will be infested too. If they were mine I would be stopping hibernation at this point and treating with a wormer and overwintering for the remainder of this season. You can worm them yourself with Panacur for puppies and kittens, but if you are not confident doing it, then a vet can do it for a small charge. Keep them well hydrated throughout the treatment and make sure that the dosage is given at the correct ratio for the weight of your tortoise, according to the dose on the syringe. You can either make a small panacur sandwich with a leaf (or injected into a tasty treat such as strawberry or tomato), which they usually eat, or administer it directly into the mouth, so long as you know how to open the mouth correctly. I would dose for two or maybe three separate dosages for a burden that high. Good luck ;)

#3 Piddy123

Piddy123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thanks Sue.

I took them to the vets yesterday and they gave them a dose of panacur. We have been advised to send a poo sample in a fortnight and if that comes back positive they will be given another dose.

They are both back in their table with full heat and uv and will be overwintering them.

How can I eradicate the risk of them getting worms in the future?

Thanks

Chris

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hi Chris

Not sure if your vet is an exotics vet or not, but I would be asking for a definite second dose and checking for worms after that, as with a heavy burden, such as your have, there will be a lot of ova that have not yet hatched, meaning that there will be a new load starting by the time a fortnight has passed. While treating them, they will get rid of more worms by keeping on newspaper (not recommended for general keeping) and by bathing until they eliminate, meaning there is less chance of re-infection. I keep my tortoises outside all summer and so do routing worming mid summer each year. Birds, snails and other wild creatures can all pass on nematodes and strongyles via soil and plants, so there is no way to guarantee they are worm free, the same as all animals (including man yuk).

Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users