9 replies to this topic

#1 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi everyone

I hope you and all your torts are doing well. I followed Kelly's hibernation diary to the T and hector went in the fridge last week. He lost practically no weight during wind down and I am very happy with how my first hibernation went, just hope it carries on smoothly.

Just want to thank you too kelly for such a comprehensive diary which was so easy to follow :-D

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

No problem. Glad it was of help to you. :)

My two have been in the fridge for a few weeks now. I give them a quick visual check once a day and weight them every week and so far all is going well.   :thumbup: 

#3 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

I have been checking daily and will be weighing weekly.

I did something really stupid today...panicked thinking he'd done a massive no. 2 then on closer inspection realised it was his leg...in my defensive the box lid was covering the light haha.

Many thanks again Kelly :)

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

That's a neurotic tortie Mum for you! Welcome to the club!! :JC-hysterical:

It's not normally a problem if they poo..... it's if they urinate that you have to get them up.

#5 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

Hectors been asleep 4 weeks and he's only lost 1 gram. Really happy with this result. Hope all your hibernations are going well too x

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

Just looked at your original post Loola where you say Hector lost practically no weight during wind down - can I ask just how much he did lose and what his original weight was?

#7 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Beginning of wind down he was 170, he fluctuated a bit during, when he went into the fridge he was 165, he's now 164. Do you think maybe he hasn't lost enough and he has a full bladder or something? I'm worried now.

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

He 'should' have a full bladder, there would be a problem if he didn't, but they usually lose a fair bit in wind down, so the comment that he had lost practically no weight in wind down, made me think he might still have food in there. In actual fact he lost 5 grams so that is fine for his size ;)

#9 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Ah ok. Along the lines of full something is what I was thinking and started to worry about. Glad you're here to reassure. Guessing its normal for them to fluctuate a little in wind down is normal too? It made sense to me so never questioned it, but now you have got me thinking haha

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

The weight they lose in wind down is not actual weight but digested food, which is normal and not weight from the body ;) If he lost no weight then, it would mean he was either not emptied or he was already empty before wind down, which would mean his wind down was too long, if that makes sense. Sounds as though he is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users