• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hi, Everyone,

I'm rather worried about Harry, and hope somebody can help or advise me, please.

Last year, Harry barely moved a muscle during hibernation, he basically sat on top of the substrate throughout the whole period. This time, however, he seems to be moving a lot. He's five weeks into hibernation, so should be settled by now, but he shifts positions; today he's facing the opposite way and is buried deep in the substrate. 

The fridge temperatures are ok on the whole, but do vary within the acceptable parameters; am I right to be worried, or is movement like this common? I only have last year to go on, and as I say, he barely moved that time.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

All perfectly normal Graham, more so than last year actually ;) I would be far more worried about a tortoise that sits on top of the substrate as it would seem they were not reacting to temps correctly ;) Given that most people put their torts in boxes with little room to move, they will not see the daily movement in quite the same way. I have ten Russians in a communal hibernation space right now and the little tunnels in the substrate show me that they are moving continually now they have settled into hibernation properly, although I am obviously not sure who has done what. I hibernated them this way last year too, with very little weight loss and a very satisfactory outcome all around.

Harry is obviously getting the hang of things ;)

#3 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

Sue, thank you so much, I was terribly worried. I'm sure you can understand when I say that I was most concerned that Harry was unsettled, uncomfortable, and not hibernating properly, scrambling around trying to find a suitable temperature for himself. 

You've really eased my mind, thank you again; what would we do without you on this forum???  xxxxxx

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

Haha, glad I'm not always seen as a bit of a bossy so and so lol

Have you weighed Harry yet Graham? So long as his weight is OK and he has not passed urine, I am sure he will be fine. If I have time after Christmas I will try to get a pic of the horsfields hibernation den, so show you how they have moved around.

Relax and have a lovely Christmas ;)

x

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Graham, I am finding this with my older torts this year....I can see where they are moving around under the soil. They did the same last year and hadn't last weight when they emerged in the spring. I think like sue says....boxing torts gives very little room for natural maneovers.x x x stella x

#6 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

Hi sue. Just reading this would you recommended a larger box inside the fridge for future years? My little spur thigh is in a boot box but reading this I'm thinking bigger is better??

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

Whatever you can manage Loola. I have a fair few torts, so they have to make do with smaller boxes, but enough room to move obviously. If you find the box has been scratched to bits, then go for a larger one. Horsfields are the very devil to keep still, which is why they have a free run of a large area below the substrate. It seems to work better for them ;)

#8 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

I haven't weighed Harry up to now because I thought he was unsettled. However, I put him on the scales earlier today, and he's the same as he was when he went in, 1530g. and not passed anything.

I thought hibernation wouldn't be so worrying this year, but it still is; roll on the Spring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users