• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

Attached File  picture216.jpg   29.29KB   1 downloadsAttached File  picture215.jpg   31.07KB   0 downloadsAttached File  picture214.jpg   37.96KB   0 downloadsAttached File  picture217.jpg   28.9KB   0 downloads

This is my first tort that i got from a local pet shop here in Oregon. He/she is about 4 inches long so im guessing He/she is maybe 5 or 6? From what ive read and researched. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what gender?

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Hi there,
Im no expert but looking at the size of the tail then i would say defo male!
Regards matt

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

It's a male horsfieldii, wild caught and I would estimate around 7-8 years old ;)

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

I would say it is more likely. Russians are widely imported to USA sadly :( They have been importing them for many years and still do :(

#5 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

Yes He is a male ( I noticed when he peed on me the other day) Yes, he is wild caught. ( I didnt realize when I first bought him) I had talked to the pet store and they said that they have them shipped from a " company" From Europe. I felt very bad when I figured this out. I figured he was breed and shipped here to the USA...He is very well taken care of though, and I love him very much. He's enjoying climbing my laundry on my bed right now, and is a very active, happy, hungry Tort :) thanks for the help! 

#6 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

Sadly I didnt realize that they could be wildly caught and shipped across the world. I thought that he was bred and grew up here... It wasnt 'till I had joined this sight I realized he was wildly caught. Its disgusting and terrible, I agree. If they could survive in the wild here I'd let him be free, but I have no choice but to try and give him the best home he can have in my care. Thanks everyone. :)

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

No of course it is not her keepers fault, I doubt anyone thinks that. Horsfields do breed easily in captivity but their clutches are small and so not as commercially viable as say hermanns than can lay up to 12 eggs at a time. Most of my Russians lay either 2 or 3 eggs, sometimes 4. In the US regulations are different to here in UK :(

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

I have always said this too. If I could take my babies over to their native country and let them go, I would be thrilled to do so, but it's not allowed to release into the wild, even in their native country. It's understandable of course, due to cross contamination etc :( I did help out a Turkish sanctuary though, where a lot of tortoises were removed by the authorities as they said they did not have CITES permission to breed them. They would not say where they had taken them and the Sanctuary owner was distraught to have this happen. Strangely though, many of them made their way back, so the law obviously didn't really count for much over there ;)

Good luck with your little man, but do look into getting him a bigger area in the future, he will really thank you for it ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users