4 replies to this topic

#1 Geo

Geo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hi, First time posting,

I have a Female Hermman called Bella, she is an alround healthy tortoise, and I wound her down and put her in her fridge to hibernate at the beginning of december with no issue, however last night when checking her she had done a big poo and was wide awake,

have woken her up as she was properly awake and she is now fine and dandy doing her thing in her room, eating well and basking, bright eyed.

Is it normal/ok for a tortoise to have such a short hibernation 5-6 weeks she was down,

cheers for any help or opinions

George

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. :excited:

Firstly how old is Bella and what were your fridge temperatures?

#3 Geo

Geo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

she is 5 years old, the fridge was keeping a steady 3 to 7 degrees

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

Between 8 and 16 weeks is normally the ideal hibernation length depending of the age and size of your tortoise, however, once awake, you did the right thing in keeping her up. :) It sounds like your fridge temperatures were spot on..... maybe she was just fed up with sleeping! :rofl:

The fact that she is active and eating again so quickly is a good. Make sure you give her a long bath too so she can rehydrate herself.

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

It can take around a month for them to settle properly, so this was not full hibernation, more likely just on the way to the deeper sleep ;) Don't let her go back now she is up, but keep feeding and heat to a minimum over the winter, which will give similar benefits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users