Photo
- - - - -

How Long Does A Russian Tort Usually Sleep For?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:16 AM

Hey guys, Just wondering if Littlefoot is sleeping to much? He doesnt sleep ALL day, but he does sleep a lot. Im not sure if its because I tucker him out (he gets about an hour of roaming around the house atleast 5 times a week) or its just normal for him..? I notice that he starts to fall asleep around 7pm and wakes up at 6:30-7:00 am. He takes naps in between then too. So Littlefoot sleeps about 12 hours everynight and around 2-3 hours in the day basking under his lamp. He wont go in his covered area intill "bedtime"

If it helps at all to know the enviroment he is in a glass 40 gal tank, but I am Building a Tort table at the moment and he should be moved over to that in about a week. He has a 100 Watt heat lamp with the basking area at 95 F and an air temp of 72-75 F with his sheltered area being 67 F. He does a a UVB UVA light aswell. 

#2 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:18 AM

At night I do turn off his lights aswell. The temp then goes to about 65...

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

His behaviour sounds perfectly normal and night time temperatures sound spot on.

Be careful of the free roaming around the house though, not only due to hazards, but also because they have no access to basking lamp or UVB lighting.

Don't forget to post some pictures of your new set up once it's complete. We'd love to see them. :)

#4 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

I will for sure post pictures of the table once its finished. And I try to make sure not to keep him out to long when I do let him roam. Its just to cold to let him outside and I wont be able to let him outside safely intill around late June. He only out for about an hour tops and roams around my queen size bed. i dont usually let him on the floor because im worried I'll loose him :/

Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users