• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

hello everyone, apologies for the topic! But my tortoise seems to keep getting very long (hair like) stringy pieces in his/her bottom. I usually notice it as it will be accompanied by poo that is stuck too. Last time, I soaked him, gave it a wipe and it slid out easily. Today it is quite stuck in and obviously I don't want to pull it for fear of doing damage. I have two tortoises and it only ever seems to happen to one of them.... They live together on a soil substrate which is well watered, they both dig in at night, they both have a diet of weeds from a tortoise mix, ribwort plantain, dandelion etc...they are about five months old and as I only got them in October I havent hibernated them this year. I would be really grateful for some advice! Many thanks, Katie :-)

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Do you have a photo of this Katie? If it only happens to one, then it could be something that needs looking at. Would you say it looks like undigested food at all? You can cut off the stuck pieces, but don't pull.

#3 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

He's asleep now but I will take a photo tomorrow if its still there... Do you think a visit to a vet might be needed?

#4 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

I don't really think it looks like food... More like hair! Although they eat a lot of ribwort plantain so perhaps it could be the strings veins that run through those?

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

Sometimes tortoises eat their owners hair if it falls into the enclosure and poops can come out attached to hairs. It's important not to pull but to cut off, as the intestines can loop if put under strain. Ribwort plantain does sometimes come through like this. I would not bother with a vet if he/she is eating normally. I'd cut it off though as it's not good to drag a piece of dried up poop around with them in case it catches on something. I'm sure it will be fine :D

#6 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

Thank you, Sue. By the morning it had gone. They are both still eating and behaving normally... Will just have to take extra care to keep my hair away from them!

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

It's easily done - I have very fine hair, but still find the occasional tortoise clinker :D

#8 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

:JC-hysterical: I haven't heard the term "clinker" in years since I lived down south. :laugh:

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Well, I'm oop north lol and thought it was a northern word - seem to be having a run on northernisms today haha

#10 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

It was my Dad who used to use it. Although he was a Fulham lad, he was born and raised in Gloucestershire..... so it more than likely came from his family. :)

#11 misspbluedeva

misspbluedeva

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my little Pebble, 2yr old Testudo Hermanni

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

I agree with wizzasmum. My first torty used to have poos like that, they always seem to find a hair no matter what. I also used to trim it too ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users