• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

two days ago I took Littlefoot outside to be in the sun and noticed He started to dig at the grass. I figured since we were outside for awhile, he wanted to just go burrow into his hide and fall asleep. I took him back inside, and he quickly ran into his favorite hide and will not come out. Hes dug down under the soil and no matter what I do refuses to come out. I tried laying food next to the hole but i dont think he can see it, I tried leaving his lights on later then normal, and I tried to physically pull him out. Im not exactly sure what to do, Could he be trying to hibernate? Or is he upset in anyway? I'm not wanting to hibernate considering ive only had him for 2 months and he hasnt been seen by the vet yet. Can I get some advice? 

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

When tortoises move to different areas their instinct is to hide away. This is one reason that it is not generally recommended to take tortoises indoors for the night in summer. Obviously with your location, the circumstances are different, but Littlefoot will get used to things most likely if you persevere. Not sure what you mean by not coming out. Just pick him up and put him under the lamps and then feed him. You can try warm baths to encourage him to feed too. He's not trying to hibernate, temps would have to be very low indoors for him to do this. Tortoises don't react to food unless they are warm, so trying to tempt him out won't work, he needs to warm up first. A vet would not be able to tell you if he was fit to hibernate I'm afraid, that is something you can only learn from experience, when you have had him longer and know that his weight is good for his size.

Hope this helps a little.

#3 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:57 AM

I had to dig him out of the soil today, But hes been out today. around 4 he dug back down and has been down there since. Otherwise hes fine. I pulled him halfway out of his hide and showed him I had breakfast. He came running down his little dirt hill towards his rock.  :)  Thanks

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

I agree with sue totally on the moving them in and out,when i used to bring mine in every night and put them out in the morning they used to dig down and hide away but in the summer months i just leave them out now (if its safe to do so) and they are fine now!great advice sue!
Regards matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users