Hi From Lincoln

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SJxx

SJxx

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Animals and reptiles of all kinds, photography.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

Hi

My name is Sarah, me and my son H have just got our first Hermann Tortoise “Shelldon” we are totally new to this and ended up getting him a lot quicker than planned so I am feeling very unprepared. We had his table top house ready with UV lamp/heat lamp a hide, woodchip substrate, food and drink bowl, some rocks, half a pot (which he mostly uses as a slide) I did buy a book and tried to research a quick and simple list of things he can eat but, I feel like I am reading the history of the tortoise and nature itself before I get told one thing he can eat! So far all I am feeding him is salad leaves (with the calcium stuff)

When I move back into my own place in Feb (long story) I have various seeds ready to start growing dandelions etc but I could do with a few other quick and easy suggestions to vary his diet for now, like cucumbers are they ok? done a bit of grated carrot as well is that ok? Any other ideas whilst I learn about all the weeds/plants? Is just mostly salad ok apart from iceburg lettuce?

Also the pet shop said to only feed him every other day is that right? He seems very hungry for food

Totally besotted with him though, never realised what a little character he would be, so very entertaining, especially when I put half a plant pot in to make a little hide for him, he never goes in it just climbs up and slides down, he must have done it a dozen times the first day we put it in.  

Anyway appreciate any advice etc, and looking forward to getting to know everyone and their tortoises :)

Some pics

12083622856_729edfa7e2.jpg

12083629896_2e72eea1b1.jpg

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

:welcome: Hi Sarah. Welcome to the forum. :)

If I were you I'd ditch the woodchip substrate and substitute it for topsoil. This will help Sheldon to regulate his temperature better and keep his hydration levels right.... which is particularly important for young growing tortoises. :)

Our feeding section will give you a good idea of things to feed. A natural weed diet is the best thing you can offer, avoiding fruit and vegetables, but while you are learning, the Florette Crispy Salad mix is a good basis to start or any Italian or herb salad bags which contain things like: 

escarole, radicchio, tatsoi, rocket, endive, lambs lettuce, red chard, mizuna, coriander, apollo lettuce, lollo rosso, lollo verde, baby red oak lettuce, green batavia lettuce, baby lollo biondi, tango lettuce and romaine

Variety is the key. ;)

I've attached a good little guide that helped me in my early identification of weeds. You can make the pages up into a booklet. The Tortoise Table also has a search facility where you can check any plants to see if they are suitable to feed to tortoises. x

http://www.thetortoi...oise_home_1.asp

Attached Files

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

He's a lovely little tortoise. Is he an import? Unfortunately pet shop advice is not usually good and yours seems to fit the bracket of most, so as already mentioned, do bin the woodchips they will cause dehydration, leading to shell deformities amongst other things. You need to water substrate, which obviously you could not do with chippings, so soil or coir is a must for him, keeping it damp on the base and dryer on top. This is how I keep my babies www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm

#4 SJxx

SJxx

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Hi thanks for the welcome!

Yes I had noticed a lot on here have top soil, this was advice from the pet shop! As I say am struggling with so much conflicting info about! I will get some top soil sorted asap. 

Thanks for the resource sheets they are very useful, did anyone have any thoughts on the feeding every other day? Or is that perfectly fine with him growing?

I don't think he is an import, I haven't read all his papers though which I probably should do!

Thanks again 

Sarah

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

I don't understand the concept of feeding every other day to be honest. A wild tortoise will feed daily, even if only small amounts, therefore I prefer to feed less each day than make them starve for a day. I can see no logical reason for doing this with a tortoise or any other animal really. I have starved dogs for a day if they were sick or refusing food, but that is different of course :) If he is from a pet shop he is likely an import, so might be a good idea to have a poo sample checked for worms. The certificate will have a section that gives country of origin - often it is Slovenia or Macedonia. Sometimes there is just a dealers name, which also indicates import. Hope this helps :)

#6 SJxx

SJxx

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

no I didnt think that sounded right either so yeah just gone for less each day, he does like his food thats sure. We are moving bakc home this weekend so will be getting him topsoil sorted and lots of weeds as I am sure there will be plenty. Thanks for the welcome though :)  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users