Lighting Query

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

Hello,
My name is Chris(tine) and I'm new to the site. I have had my adult tortoise for almost 40 years and am about to take on two babies bred locally. I am opting for the guinea pig run option initially but am a bit confused re lighting. The breeder couldn't be more helpful and has advised the uv strip light should have 12% uvb. The local supplier I visited yesterday was adamant this was too much and I should go for 5% max or there would be a risk of sight damage. Tortoise Trust info seems to support this but many posts on this forum advise 12-14%. I obviously want to get this right for my new babies so would welcome any advice please.

Many thanks,
Chris

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

Your breeder is right and the dealer is wrong. I wonder if he is aware of the UV levels in the Med. I have always used 10% uvb for babies and so long as they have the choice, as in deep enough substrate to dig into there is no problem. If however, you are going to subject them to high levels of uvb throughout the day with nowhere to hide away and at very close range, then there may be problems.  I've been doing this for many years and having studied torts in the Med can confirm that they will hide away when the sun is high in the sky but spend time basking when the sun is lower. Hope this helps :)

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

Agree with sue 5% uvb is no where near enough,your breeder is totally correct!
Regards matt!

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

Yes i agree very good tubes ozric,ive gone over to these myself :)

#5 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

Many thanks everyone for your help, and confiming what I already suspected. Where tortoises are concerned my usual attitude towards dealers is to assume I know better but this guy was very plausible and claimed to have been breeding tortoises for many years. So I just had a bit of a wobble! Have ordered an Arcadia lamp as suggested.

Am looking forward to getting my babies with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. Although I've had Fred for a very long time he was an adult when I bought him back in the 70s and I've no experience with babies so am really grateful to be able to get advice from this forum.

Thanks again,
Chris

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

You say dealer and yet originally said breeder - there is a vast difference and most breeders would be a bit upset to put it mildly to be called a dealer lol  If the seller is selling from a shop then he is indeed a dealer, so I would be very careful if so of adding imported stock to your own long term tortoise. Recently there are many cases of herpes virus, which is not like the human variety and usually kills. It also kills most other tortoises it comes into contact with, with many owners losing whole groups of animals, including the Tortoise Trust rehoming officer a few years back :(  I'd make absolutely sure before taking in any new babies - if locally bred and still young they will be only a few grams in weight, rather than the much bigger ones from retail outlets etc. There are very few actual horsfield breeders, but many posing as such, who buy them cheaply and then sell them at up to £100, so again it will pay to be absolutely sure. Hope this helps ;)

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

Just realised that there is no mention of which species unless I missed it. Not sure why I assumed they were all horsfields :/

#8 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Hi Sue,

Sorry if my terminology was confusing, I was using the term dealer to refer to the equipment supplier (a local pet and aquatics dealer who also sells tortoises, which - I suspect - are indeed imported) who was disputing my breeder's advice (see original post). It was just that the staff member (who claimed to have bred tortoises himself for many years) was so emphatic that 12% uvb recommended by the breeder was too strong and could blind my tortoises that caused my temporary uncertainty.

My new babies are Hermann's hatchlings bred locally. I met their breeder through a totally unrelated mutual interest and these are her first babies. I have been to her home and seen the babies and her set-up and she has been (and I'm sure will continue to be) extremely helpful. Fred is also a Hermann's tortoise but, rest assured, my new additions will not be joining him - certainly not for a considerable time at any rate.

Many thanks for your help - all advice gratefully received  :)

Kind Regards,

Chris

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

Oh my mistake lol. I'm easily confused and blame my age.......because I can :)  Hope you have certs for them too, as you will need them later if they do breed. Good luck :)

#10 Codie85

Codie85

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:01 AM

Can I use the 10 UVB bulb and not the long t5 or t8 tube ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users