• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:00 AM

Hey guys, the days have been sunnier here, so Littlefoot has been going outside more. But the thing is, we have a bush in this front yard with dark green leaves. Littlefoot wont stop eating them! We have about 3 of theese bushes and two of them bloom these pink and purple flowers that like look like hibiscus. 

I was just wondering if Littefoot can continue to eat these? If been trying to keep him away from them. Attached File  picture252.jpg   29.58KB   0 downloadsAttached File  picture253.jpg   29.57KB   0 downloads

#2 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:03 AM

DId some research.... Looks to be a camellia blossom. is that safe for him to munch on..?

#3 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

Hi, if you've identified the leaf correctly, then it is fine to feed Littlefoot in moderation. Take a look at this link:

http://www.thetortoi...=main&catID=395

It is important, however, that you identify the plant correctly in the first place.

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

I agree with Graham..... be careful when feeding plants you're not sure of, especially at this time of year when things are not in flower. You need to be 100% sure that you have Identified it correctly or else you could be feeding something harmful.

Tortoises normally steer clear of anything that is poisonous, however, it is best not to take the risk if there is any doubt. :)

#5 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Alright thank you. I do try to steer him clear of the bushes in the yard. I take him out into the fenced garden with me when I work on my art or and doing yard work. He just keeps going right back to them! I might just have to trim them so he cant reach  ;) Thank you for the advice you guys

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Be very careful and try to get a full ID on this one as some camellias are known to be high in caffeine, so not a good idea. Are you sure it's not hibiscus?

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

Yes i was thinking hibiscus too,id do more research before feeding if it was me
Regards matt

#8 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:28 AM

I havent been feeding him these regularly, he just gets into them when we are outside. They are tree like bushes.... tall and bloom pink flowers in the summer.

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

If it was me, I would sweep up all leaves that you are not sure of to make his area safe, or make him a safe area where there are none of these leaves. I have a tortoise that loves foxgloves, but obviously to let her eat these would mean that she would not last very long. Better safe than sorry until you have a definite ID :)                                                                        

#10 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

OKay :)

#11 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

I totally agree with Sue; I'd keep him away from the leaves until you can get a positive ID on this plant, you'll need to wait until it blooms to be able to do so.

Even if it is a camellia, only the flowers of this plant are edible to tortoises.

When it flowers, post back with some pics, and we'll do our best to identify it for you.

#12 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

Alright thank you guys so much

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users