Is This Tortoise A Leopard ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ShelledWarrior

ShelledWarrior

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Walking, Swimming, Weight Training, my lovely 4 year old son, 3 Cats, 10 Fish and last but not least my Hubby.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

Hi

I have been  offered a tortoise by a freind who no longer wants to keep him.

She is very sure it is not a leopard breed, and was told by shop that it is a slow growing small breed tortoise...... but she cant remember the breed.

I think the information is very wrong and looking on the internet I am just assuming it is a leopard.  He is big about 9/10 inches  long maybe 7 inches wide very tall to, Iam not sure if his shell is deformed due to diet, any info is needed before we make a big decision to take on this big tortoise and it seems they get even bigger and heavy from the info I have read

Please correct me if Iam wrong Thanks XAttached File  timmy.png   511.27KB   3 downloads

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

Luckily tortoises don't come in breeds ...........yet. It's species is geochelone pardalis or leopard tortoise and it's not very healthy at that. Shame on the person trying to pass it off as a slow growing tortoise. It appears to be suffering from a degree of metabolic bone disease and although it is a fast growing species, it has obviously not grown fast, b ut is growing very deformed due to lack of humidity, poor housing and incorrect diet :(

I used to have leopards, but because I was unable to move to bigger premises had to make the decision to let them go to someone who already had large species African tortoises, who could give them the large area they needed. It's impossible to keep them in a house over winter and they need large accommodation heated to 32 degrees the whole year around. They poop as much as a large dog or small pony lol, so you need to be prepared for that along with the fact that they walk in it and spread it just about everywhere. My own had a large area, but I really wanted a paddock for them for the summer months which they now have., thankfully.  Hope this gives some idea of what they need.

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

It was the worst thing I ever had to do Ozric, well one of the worst. I had a steady job at the time and the idea was to move to somewhere similar to here but bigger, but then had health issues which meant I had to cut work down by half, so something I had never anticipated. I felt I had let them down, but then luckily found someone via a friend of a friend who was looking for some to add to her collection and who had been turned down would you believe by one of the major rehoming groups (cough cough) for not having been a member long enough and not wishing to pay an annual premium, with snatch back clause if payment was not ongoing. How lucky was I that this happened, as my beloved Hoove, Leu and little Fred now live on a smallholding set-up with so much land they would never run out of food and with no expense spared for their winter accommodation either.

As you say, it would be a big mistake to take one on without knowing all this, especially one which has not been reared too well in the first place. I do hope it finds a good home though ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users