• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

A couple days ago Littlefoot had pushed out of my hands while I was handling him and cracked an area on his shell. My mother (being and experienced vet tech) Helped me doctor him up and clean the crack. Luckily, he has no nerve damage or and vital organs have been damaged, with the crack only being 2 cm long, and on the side of his shell by his back leg (where the shell comes out and protects the back legs) No infection has set in and he seems to be getting along okay. Ive been cleaning the crack everyday and placeing a bandage over it. Hes always willing to eat so Im not worried about him not eating or getting water. Just wondering if anyone knows how long it might take to heal and if theres anything I can do to have it heal faster?  Ive been cleaning it with Betadine and rinsing it with lukewarm water. then applying a bit of triple antibiotic ointment to the crack and placing a bandage over that. the crack is clean, doesnt smell bad, and has no puss. I cant get a good picture of it but can show you where it is.

Attached File  picture216.jpg   39.98KB   1 downloads The crack is right inside the area of the orange circle..

#2 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

The crack is very minor, didnt bleed when it had first happened either. He fell about a foot on hard wood floor, if that helps at all...

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

Hi There,

Sorry to hear about Littlefoot's fall. It's important that you continue to use the Betadine solution, rinse well with warm water and keep the wound covered for the next several weeks or so. Shell cracks are very susceptible to bacterial and fungal infection which is the real problem. The area will heal in its own good time but should take 6-8 weeks. I would avoid using the triple anti-biotic ointment unless it is specifically for reptiles. Cleaning the area with the Betadine solution alone should suffice.There may be a small shell scar after the damage has healed but this is nothing to worry about. Hope this helps.

Take care

Kind Regards

Freddy

#4 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:00 AM

Alright. So no more triple antibiotic? Should I wash off what I have on there right now?

#5 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

Also, should I use the Betadine everyday or everyother...?

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Great advice from freddy,just stick with the betadine wash everyday and everthing should be fine but in future make sure you handle him with both hands to make sure this doesnt happen as i have seen some terrible pics of damages from dropping from heights as they are very strong creatures if at a young age
Regards matt

#7 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

Thank you guys. Ill keep cleaning it everyday :)

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

I agree and would not use ointment of any sort either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users