any local breeders and housing with rabbits

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_suitcasey_*

Guest_suitcasey_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:15 PM

heya everyone,

so over the past three or four months i have been reading up all about the care for these fascinating little hermanns tortoises and im working my parents around to the idea of getting one! I would like to say your site has been a great help so far, looking through the archives has answered more questions for me than i could possibley think of asking, so job well done lol :) .
I think I am now just about ready so I was wondering if any of you know of any good breeders in Northern Ireland, i have tried searching the internet but to no success so I hoped atleast someone here might know of a reputable breeder in the area (in the very north of northern ireland would be ideal lol)
Also, I have a rabbit which during the winter stays inside but in the summer months we have a pretty big enclosure for it in the garden to run around in and it sleeps there. if we were to tortoise proof it (and provide it with the suitable shelter and whatnot) do you think any problems would come of housing them together? I'm certain the run would be big enough for the two of them, just wanted to check there would be no complications by doing so that could cause harm to either the tortoise or the rabbit.

Thanx a lot for the help :)

Casey

#2 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:19 AM

Hello Casey
I'm sorry I have never heard of a breeder in Northern Ireland before. and I'll ask about to see if I know of anyone that has rabbits and torts together, ideally the tortoise should have some form of electricity for cold wet summer days and early morning and evenings Spring and Autumn
Which I don't know if a rabbit could live with this, the other prolem I can think of his the bedding in the shelter and the food, a tortoise is an opportunist feeder, I'm just worried about rabbit pellets, fruit and straw
Arnie

#3 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:28 PM

Up until a few years ago we always had rabbits and tortoises together. Our cheeky older rabbit use to ride on the bigger tortoises back to get around, we have a photo somewhere. Although they use to have the run of the house and garden together, their food was always separate. Our rabbits were very bossy and given the chance a tortoise will eat anything. Our rabbits were brought in, in the winter and housed in an indoor enclosure but still with access to the house and our tortoises are not hibernated and so are also housed indoors but with the run orf the house. We never had any problems with them being together infact I think the rabbits enjoyed the company, we just never let them eat eachothers food. :)

#4 Guest_suitcasey_*

Guest_suitcasey_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

Hey arnie and omare, thanx a lot for both your replies!
Well if we do go with the plan of keeping them both together in summer we would have two seperate shelters for them, and after reading your posts I guess we could have the rabbit's home sort of sitting off the ground a bit so that they could jump in with ease but the tort wouldn't be able to climb in and we would only put the rabbit food in there. Also we wouldnt have any problem getting an extension out to the tortoise shelter for some extra heating during the cooler days.
And also there is a very good little pet shop in my area that I would be able to get a tort from, and I know the owner very well so I dont think he would let me go wrong by buying there. Just after reading some posts here I thought generally people seemed keener on getting them from a propper breeder but I guess this would do the same job.
thanx a lot for the help, I think it would be cool to have them housed together, especially if maybe they would be good company for eachother!
Omare, are your torts litter trained or is that possible to do? My rabbit is and occasinally we do give her the run of the house so I guess when the tort is indoors during winter if things are ok for it to be running about the house we might do that.
Stil havnt got the all clear from my parents to let me get one yet, but im workin on it lol.
thanx for the replies

Casey

#5 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:37 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-12-05 AT 07:40 PM (GMT)]Yeah honey, our tortoises are litter trained, like our rabbits were. My Dad always use to say, how can you have rabbits in your house they smell! I use to tell him, rabbits only smell if they're kept in a hutch, what animal wouldn't! When you keep them like you would a cat they don't smell at all and they poop and pee in the cat litter like a cat would. Our torotises know now that if they poop and pee they are let out and thats how it's always been. Alot of people would say it's not possible to house train a tortoise but I don't agree. When mine are in their enclosure and they see us they know it's time for coming out and having fun so they do their business and then they are let out, somehow they just know. If your rabbit is gonna be housed higher up from the tortoise make sure that it doesn't kick it's food out so the tortoise can eat it, honey, otherwise no problem. :)

#6 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:51 PM

The only thing to remember is if you buy a really young tortoise it might feel a bit intimidated by the rabbit for a while and the rabbit might bully it. Have you thought of maybe giving a home to a slightly older torotise, maybe one that needs rehoming and would fit in easier with a rabbit. If you go with a young tortoise you will have to keep them apart for a while, even big tortoises can bully smaller ones so it's something to think of. What age of tortoise were you thinking of getting? :)

#7 Guest_suitcasey_*

Guest_suitcasey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:44 PM

Well I havnt really had a preference! We were going to go with a baby one just because they seemed the most readily available (and it could be quite fun getting to watch it grow and learn more about it as a small tort, plus theyre even cuter when theyre young!) but if I was able to I would have no problem rehoming an older one! Do you know of the best way to go about this? The pet shop near me has like advertisement boards in the window where people leave leaflets of pets that need rehoming, like parrots and dogs etc. I havnt yet seen a tortoise up there but I guess if I did see one and it was healthy that could be a good option.
what you've all said makes a lot of sense, thanx a lot for the help :)
also if anyone ever does hear of a good breeder in northern ireland or indeed somewhere that would be good for a slightly older tortoise, please let me no, thanx :)

Casey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users