• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:27 AM

ive noticed Littefoots shell is flaky and I would like to know if its shell rot. Also, Around the dark patches of the top of him shell, its a light dull red/purple color. Its been like that sine ive had him. Im very worried. Considering I dont have very much money right now its hard to choose between a vet bill and paying rent. Thanks guys..

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

Sue (wizzasmum)is an expert on russians so hopefully she will able to help you
Regards matt

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

Dark red/purple patches can indicate problems like excessively fast growth or more serious problems like septicaemia.

If you upload a photo we will be better able to advise you.

#4 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

Its very hard for me to get a picture considering you can only really see it under his basking lamp. I will be taking him in to the very on the 28th (in two weeks) when I have the money for it. Im just praying he'll be okay till then. Hes eating and going to the bathroom just fine. He does seem a little bit sleepy though. Like he just wants to lay under his basking lamp. 

#5 Hellymack

Hellymack

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

I don't think you should wait if you are worried, call the vet and tell them your predicament, most offer reasonable payment plans these days so just ask - 2 weeks could be a long time if he is really sick and if not it will put your mind at rest.

I hope it goes ok

#6 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

I have contacted the only vet that has experience with reptiles as far as i know here in my area. Unfortunately they do not have any sort of plans like that with reptiles. Only dogs and cats.   :(  I tried calling the emergency clinic, and it would be even more to take him in. All I can really do now is hope and pray. Im debating on taking him back to the pet store, because from the looks of it I'm not financially prepared. Im although scared to take him back considering the environment he was in before. 

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

If you are certain he has been like this since you have had him then it's not septicaemia and more likely to be something else such as scrubbing the shell where there is new growth which can cause bruising and trauma. We really need pics to see what the problem is, but if he is eating and otherwise behaving normally, then it's unlikely to be serious. As Kelly says, it could be just fast growth especially if you are washing the area. Tortoises rarely need washing and should be just allwed to bathe naturally really :) Good luck

#8 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

Thanks guys. He is going to the vet. Im making sure of that! I guess we wont know how healthy he really is intill I take him. Ill keep everyone updated

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

He won't be able to tell even when you do take him unless he does bloods, swabs etc, so don't let them fob you off with charging for guess work. If he's had this as long as you have had him, I would not consider it an emergency to be honest, but obviously it is going to make you feel better to take him to the vet ;)

#10 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

Ok. thank you for the advise. Its reassuring to know everyone on this site is here to help. glad I found it. :) 

#11 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hey guys Just had a couple of quick new questions. 

Since the fall, Ive been cleaning Littlefoot's crack everday, I I noticed something interesting today. 

When I had first got him. He had Olive colored skin and a honey brown shell with very dull black patches on his shell (as far as I know every russian does.) With the redish/brown around the black patches. He looked very sick when I had first got him, and he stole my heart. Ive had him for 2 months now, and today, it looks like his color is darkening. the black patches are now solid black. and his shell is more of a light brown then a honey. Im just wondering, if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Thanks guys...

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

Photos are needed to show if there is fast growth or if the patches are just naturally darkening areas. A horsfields plastron is mainly black anyway, so if there has been fast light coloured growth, it will eventually darken, which is normal, but fast growth is not normal and will likely reflect on his health. Regular weighing is a good idea to see if his growth is too fast or not. Hope this helps :)

#13 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

Thank you. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users