• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Patp

Patp

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hi, my 2 went in the fridge beginning of November as they were outside and had dug down.

I was intending to get them out of the fridge and back into their mini greenhouse in the garden at the end of February to warm up in the spring sunshine, but because of the mild weather, not sure if we are going to have some major frosts in March??

I am away for a week mid March so dont want to keep them in much longer.

Their weight loss is within the 10%.  Should I put them out, but not allow them into their garden but keep them in their insulated house that gets sunshine through the glazed section with water?

Thanks

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hi Pat,

Is there any way you can provide your torts with temporary accommodation indoors? If there is a risk of frosts in March chances are it will affect their outdoor house. They will of course need heat and light in any indoor set-up. If this can be provided you could take them out of hibernation any time, really. However, if you can get good temps in their insulated house then that might be your best option.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Kind Regards

Freddy

#3 Patp

Patp

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

Thanks Freddy, that is the main problem though, there will be nobody to check on them to feed and water them.

I could set up the heat lamp in their house to come on if the temps drop below 10 degrees and plant some weeds in the glazed part.  Do you think this should be okay for the short term?

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hi Pat,

It is always a risk leaving tortoises on their own. Is there any way you can have someone check on them? What about leaving them in hibernation for an extra couple of weeks until you're back home?

Best wishes

Freddy

#5 Patp

Patp

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

that was my first thought, I just didnt know if they had been in hibernation too long?  However, they will not be warm enough to eat if they go out, so best then that they reserve their energy in hibernation.

Thanks for answering my question.

Take care

Pat

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

Hi Pat. You can't allow a tortoise access to outdoors in February unless watched very very closely and equally as Freddy says, they will need to be monitored after hibernation regardless. You will need to have someone check on them regularly and frost back up in any indoor set up for them. I would not just leave them in hibernation either if they were mine without someone checking on them regularly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users