• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pmlfra

pmlfra

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

Please could somebody tell me if I should wake my tortoise up from hibernating, we are new to looking after a tortoise, he is  42 years old and at present in our conservatory without any heat. We have bought a heat lamp and uv lamp for him before he goes outside in the warmer weather. He stopped eating about  October and went to sleep mid December. Thank you

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

Hi There,

If it is still cold I would leave him for another couple of weeks until temperatures rise a few degrees and wake him mid-March or so.

He will need temporary accommodation indoors with heat and light on days when the weather is poor outside.  

Snow and frosts are forecast for some parts of the UK and Ireland in the coming days so it would do no harm to leave him in hibernation a little longer.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Kind Regards

Freddy

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

I agree with Freddy re the temporary indoor housing. Are you weighing him at all? Was he fully hydrated when wound down ie with bathing regularly? Sorry for the questions, I'm just a bit concerned about him being in a conservatory as although there is no heat, the temperature can fluctuate wildly during winter in there (the same as sheds and lofts) especially if it is not north facing and if temps have reached 10 degrees or above, he could have partially woken several times without you knowing it. If he has and if his weight has dropped by more than 10% then he could well be in danger by now. When a tortoise starts to wake from hibernation, it gets a boost of glycogen from the liver to help it get going, so if this has happened already, he may have what is known as post hibernation anorexia. I would have a look at him to be sure. If he feels light, like a shell, as opposed to heavy like a rock, I would think of getting him up very soon and continuing his care indoors.

#4 pmlfra

pmlfra

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

Thanks very much for the advice, in fact he has just started to wake up this morning and have put the uv light  and heat lamp on for him. He is still in an inside run and house in the conservatory, until the weather improves for him to go outside. We have picked him up and he feels fine not to light and his head is coming in and out of his shell. If you any more advice it would be appreciated  Thank you

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hydration and warmth is the key when they first wake up from their big sleep. So give him a nice long warm bath so he can hydrate himself again. The basking temperature you should aim for is about 32-34oc to ensure that he warms up sufficiently to get active and start eating again. :)

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

If he is already awake then it would certainly be advisable to get him up now. Conservatory's can be cold places at times. However, as long as they are attached to at least one wall of a house they tend to benefit from the heat of a home and seldom freeze.

Also, adult tortoises can get a little stressed if kept confined indoors for any length of time hence the reason why I thought it better to leave him a little longer in hibernation, at least until the weather picks up outside.

However, as long as he is up the best you can do is provide him with plenty of heat and light. Best of luck.

Kind Regards

Freddy

#7 pmlfra

pmlfra

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

Thanks again for advice, he was under the heat lamp and uv yesterday for quite a long time and we shall give him a warm bath to day. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users