• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hi everyone, I have been using this forum over the last few months to do my research before getting my little tort, so firstly, thank you to everyone for your excellent advice and pics, you have been so helpful.

Now a little about me, I have two children who a few month ago began nagging me for a tortoise. I wasn't keen at first but after seeing the cute little things I was quickly persuaded. We are getting our tort, who the kids have named Derek even though we don't know the sex, at the weekend and although a little nervous, I'm very excited. I will be sure to post some pics for you all to see!

I am just putting Dereks home together and wonder if anyone can offer a little advice please. I have converted a tv unit from IKEA into a table (see first pic). It is 120 x 60cm. It was 8" deep however after reinforcing it to hold the soil it is now only 6" deep. I am worried that this is not deep enough as once the soil is in I don't want him to be able to climb out. He is a Herman hatchling. What do you think, do I need to add something to the sides to make it deeper? If so, do you have any suggestions? I have attached a pic of another tort table with spindles round, do you think this would help, i thought they may still be a little too far apart?

Any advice welcome :)
Becca

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

Well done on doing your research before buying Becca. Unfortunately the spindles will serve no purpose. as if he can see out he will constantly worry at the area to escape, as he will not see it as a barrier. The second pic of tortoise table is not a very good example as a lot of it is wasted on hide area which they don't need and there is a lot of fancy unnecessary stuff - your idea of a plain habitat is much better ;) A hatchling tortoise is only a couple of inches long and 6 inches will be quite deep enough, as hermanns don't burrow, just dig down enough to cover themselves. Keep all hides and plants away from the edges and he will be fine. Make sure the bottom is waterproof as you will need to water the enclosure too, to help with humidity for him.

Good luck :D

#3 bennycake

bennycake

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

Just curious as to why hides & plants shouldn't be by the edges?

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

Because they can be used as escape routes. It's also good for the site line to be split p to give more variety from ground level ;)

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:12 AM

Hi Becca,

welcome to the forum.  :)

I look forward to seeing some pictures of Derek, and hearing more about him/ her. :)

#6 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

Hi becca. I absolutely love the table - looks massive puts my smaller table to shame hehe! :-) hope your kiddies like the tortoise. I look forward to seeing some pics of the tortes table when it is full :-)

#7 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

Hi Laura, I posted some pics of Derek and his table under the photo gallery section "meet Derek", if you want to have a look.

Yes, the kids absolutely love him, me and my husband were a bit like you though and ready to give up in the first week when things weren't going so well but I think we are slowly getting there. Guess it takes time to learn these things and when you think to how people used to keep tortoises and how long they survived, I'm sure we are already doing a better job :)

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

I'd urge new keepers to always get in touch with their breeders if things seem scary initially, as it takes time for them to settle down and continually changing things can make things worse for a tiny baby that is feeling upset at leaving home. Torts do much better when they go in pairs as they still have a sibling to keep in touch with ;)

#9 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

Thanks sue, I know I can always contact you for good advice. As you know I had a bit of a nightmare with initially having a uv light which was on the small side, then it arrived broken but hopefully Derek didn't suffer whilst we got this sorted. Other than that I think he has settled well. We did consider getting two torts but thought about the extra space needed and thought it would be best sticking to one, especially with it being our first. Do you think we would have been best getting two? :;

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

It has to be a personal decision Becca, but you really didn't need more space for two tortoises. They still need the same amount of space to roam, regardless of whether you have one or two. You don't have to double the area, as they would still be using the same area individually if that makes sense. I have a fair few torts in my garden, but even if I had one, I would still want it to have the same area to roam. If you do get another one, do be sure to get it from a breeder, as cross contamination is a very real problem with imports ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users