Day 3 And Loving It.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron75

Aaron75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Reading, swimming, eating, sleeping.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

I've had my 18 month Hermann Tortoise for 3 days. I have always wanted a Tortoise but didn't know I would have so much fun 😊

Attached Files

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

Hi Aaron, welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Your little one looks lovely. :) You'll find that you'll get absolutely nothing done now because you'll be too busy tort watching to do anything else!! :lol:

#3 Hellymack

Hellymack

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Does he have a name yet?

I have only had my George since last April and he is amazing!!

Helen

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

Hi there,

Glad you're having so much fun with your new tort. :laugh:  Judging by your pics he seems to be having a whole lot of fun too. :wub:

I wish you the best of luck with your little chap and many happy years ahead.  :)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Hi Aaron,  welcome to the forum. :)

your new tortoise is just gorgeous, you'll spend hours just watching him. ;)

#6 Aaron75

Aaron75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

I've now had the Tort 2 weeks.

My concerns I've own seen a couple pieces of poo and only been for wee 3 times I'm aware of, I bath him almost every day and there is always water in a sallow dish which he goes in daily, he isn't eating much maybe this is the case, is this normal?

He is 18 months old, around 7cm long and weighted 51g 2 weeks ago and now ways 50g - should I take him to a vet to get him checked?

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files

#7 Hellymack

Hellymack

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

Hi Aaron

This is completely normal, they only go a couple of times a week so don't panic just yet.

And it is best not to weight them every day otherwise you will just worry yourself, my Tort is 6 and he only goes every 3-5 days, I make sure he has regular baths and I now only weigh him every 2 weeks - his weight can change just from having a bath as they take a couple of gram's of water on when they bathe, and loose a couple when they go to the toilet.

As long as he is eating, active etc he is just being a normal tort.

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hello Aaron, welcome to the forum. Torts cause obsessive watching so be aware not much will ever get done!! X x hugs x

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

I would not  take him to the vets Aaron if he is behaving normally, this will just set him back more and there is nothing they would be able to tell you from looking at him anyway. Ignore the poo, it's not like mammals where they need to be regular. Sometimes they go everyday, like in mid summer and other times they can go for several days, plus they do eat it too, so you might be missing this. Dehydration is the biggest worry at this size, so make sure the substrate is watered and never left to dry out completely to prevent dehydration and make sure it is deep enough for him to dig down.  This is even more important than making sure he has a dish of water. Remember in the wild, they rarely see water in summer, using the substrate to keep them well hydrated. He will be fine ;)

#10 Aaron75

Aaron75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

Hi,

The substrate is around 3" thick (soil) and I spray it most days. Yesterday we spent a little time making sure it was nice adding more interest and water to make sure it was okay.

Attached Files

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

You need to water it ~Aaron, spraying only wets the top and then it evaporates very quickly - you need the top to be dryer than underneath, like in a plant pot or outdoors.  If they can dig down to damper soil they will not dehydrate and will grow more smoothly too ;)

#12 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

Aaron, my torts live in Tort Lodge and for the last few weeks have been pouring water into the soil to dampen it. The problem I have found that if the soil really dries out then pouring water on the top just runs off. Before I water I disturb the top layer so the water goes in deeper.
Today I poured a watering can full of water into tort lodge, and there was still areas of dry soil x x x hugs x

#13 Aaron75

Aaron75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

That's pretty much what I did yesterday I got the soil all nice (plenty of watering) for him and then organised his table.

Today, his has been in and out of his water dish and I've had to change it 3 times but I'm sure he'll be in it again before the nights up ;-)

Thanks for your help.

#14 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

If you pour it around the edges it soaks across the bottom ;) I don't disturb the top at all and always keep the same arrangement. It will dry under the lamps but that is what they like.

#15 Aaron75

Aaron75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

Hi,

It is with a sad note to say my little Tort died, I only had him for 6 months and I am devastated. I am not sure what did wrong, I knew for the last week something was wrong as 6 days ago he became alittle less active and was off his food. I looked around on the internet to see this can sometimes occur but to ensure he is hydrated. 4 nights ago I gave a bath in water and he ate alittle fresh weeds, 2 nights ago I gave him another bath but he would not eat and was less active. He died last night :-(

#16 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:43 PM

Aaron, I'm so sorry to hear you've lost little Tort, it upsets me so much when we lose one of our tortoises on the forum.
My condolences at this sad time.

#17 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

Oh that is very sad. It was possibly something that he had harboured all along, so as long as you were doing everything OK, don't beat yourself up about it. There are lots of things that could have contributed to this. So sorry :(

#18 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:32 AM

Hi Aaron,

I'm so sorry to hear this, it's so sad, take care. :(

#19 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hi Aaron, I feel so sad for you. As has been said, sometimes things inside our torts cannot be discovered and mended. My advice would be to look at this as a learning experience. If you love torts then you will have another, and be a better keeper for he experience you have had..
Continue to be a member of this forum and the advice you receive will be invaluable.
Might you think of re homing an older tortoise..... Just a thought.
X x x xhugs x x x

#20 Aaron75

Aaron75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

I will be purchasing another Tort, I just wished to knew what I may have done wrong so I could make sure not to do it again. Having said that I have learnt a few things with my 1st beautiful Tort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users