Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi Aaron,
Sorry to hear little one passed away.dont beat yourself up about it,tortoises can be ill for months way before showing any signs!its just one of those things that most probs was out of your hands :(

#22 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have boys age 11 and 12, 1 husband, 2 dogs, 2 pigs, 1 goat, 1 tortoise, 3 sheep and 19 chickens. Lots of mouths to feed ad not much time for hobbies. I work as a self employed gardener.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:10 PM

That is so sad.  Hopefully you will get another one soon.  We have an 8 year old tortoise and constantly worry about whether I am doing the right thing for her which is why I am now on this forum so that I can ask loads of questions and gain from everyones experience.  Good luck with Tortie2 when you get it.

#23 Aaron75

Aaron75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Reading, swimming, eating, sleeping.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

I am now going to get my tortoise table cleaned (with F10 or Deep Clean Spray). I am also thinking of lining the table with a pond liner, has anyone seen this done and also is there a safe glue to secure the lining to the table?

Thanks for your thoughts.

#24 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:58 PM

I use pond liner for my baby torts Aaron. I fold it at the corners so no leakage occurs and run a length of baton along each edge around 4-5 inches above the base. These are screwed into place ;)

#25 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:28 AM

When I was using my bookcase as a tort table I used pond liner, I used staples for the corners and folded the pond liner over to cover them. It worked very well as a temp measure..... The bookcase is back on the wall being used for the intended purpose!! I think you will find once settled the weight of the soil will help hold it in place up the sides. X x x hugs x x x.

#26 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

I'm really sorry to sound so negative, but staples can be very dangerous in a torty enclosure, so I would always advise something more permanent to avoid disasters. Soil is a good weight for pond liner, but no match against a determined little digger which feels like going to the other side of it. I think all enclosures, no matter how long we intend to use them for should be looked at as permanent really for safety reasons ;)

#27 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:43 AM

I agree Sue, that is why they were covered and made safe. Also the liner I used went much higher than the soil level and over the sides with a ledge placed over the edge so even the most determined climber was safe. I guess it is a matter of knowing what the dangers can be and being one step in advance. X x x xhugs x x x

#28 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:00 AM

Hi Aaron,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your little one. As others have already said it was mostly likely nothing to do with you.

I hope you do get another tortoise. You sound like a kind and thoughtful owner. Take care.

Kind Regards

Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users