10 replies to this topic

#1 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

Hi all,

I thought I would share some photos of Derek with you.  We have had him just over two weeks now and he seems to be settling in well.

I have also included a pic of his new home.  Hopefully everything is ok, but if anyone has any comments or suggestions please let me know.  I had hoped to add some more bits and bobs to keep him active but then once he had settled, I didn't want to disturb him. Its like having a new baby deciding what to do for the best.  :unsure2:

You will see that he has made light work of the dandelion leaves!

And the last pic is of Derek enjoying a bit wander around the garden.  Although we haven't got an outdoor enclosure set up yet, the sun was shining so we took him out (and watched him very closely!).

Becca :)

Attached Files

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Hi Becca,

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your wonderful photo's of Derek. :wub:  Looking forward to hearing more about him and seeing more pics. We are a friendly, helpful bunch. You will get plenty of great advice here and make many new friends.

Hope you enjoy your stay. Take care. :)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:10 AM

Hi Becca,

Welcome to the forum, Derek is gorgeous I love the second picture of him. :)

your table looks great, just a couple of friendly pointers, your heat lamp looks as if it's on a bit of an angle this would be better pointing straight down, and I would also move the piece of slate away from the heated area as it can get too hot. :)

It's lovely to see them outside enjoying the sun we've had some lovely days. :)

#4 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the tips, I put the heat lamp on an angle so that it reaches into the corner where Derek burries down for the night, this helps him wake on a morning. Also, so that it doesn't heat the slate up (I did check for that). The temp under the lamp still gets to around 30-33c, is that ok or do you still think I'm best moving it?

Do you have any tips on keeping the cool end warm? It can range from around 20-22c when we have the heating on at home but then can drop to around 16c. I wasn't sure whether we would need another heat lamp but obviously a lower wattage or positioned higher?

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

Hi Becca, the lamp will be better pointing straight down, and if you can closer to the uv, so he's getting the uv and heat at the same time, just like he would get from the sun.

it's good you've checked the slate as it can get too hot and cause burns.

as for the cool end them temps will be ok, you wont need to add an extra heat source as it would make it to warm, torts need different temps in a table so they have a choice as to where they want to be. :)

#6 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Ok, I'll get it moved over asap. It's a relief to know the cool end temps are fine though. :-)

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Hi Becca

As Karen says, it needs to pointing down and to be honest needs to be well away from where he buries down as sleeping in the hot spot can cause dehydration ;)

Slates are great for feeding but should never be put under a heat source as they can heat very quickly if the ambient temps rise and if they fall asleep it can be dangerous. It's important that temps drop overnight and at the other end of the table. My adults temps are currently dropping to around 8 degrees overnight and they come out raring to go in the morning. Good luck :D

#8 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Hi Sue,

We water the table every day and the hydrogemeter under the hot spot says 70%. We also bath Derek twice per week so hopefully he shouldn't get dehydrated. However what would you do if he does bury down for the night in the corner next to the hot spot, would you move him?

We find that if he sleeps at that end of the table he is usually active within around 30 mins of the lights coming on, therefore about 7am however if he sleeps at the cool end, it is much later. One day it was around 2pm. He then goes to sleep sometime between 4&6pm, lights go out at 6.30pm. Is this normal?

I have already moved the light over and pointed it down, as suggested by Karen, but then this means if he does go in that corner, and he changes each night, then he will be even more in the heat.

Your advice is appreciated, hopefully I can get everything right for him :-)

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

I would personally move the position of the lamp if this is his chosen corner, so that it is not so warm there - or failing that put one of those little stick bridges where he digs down and see if he still does it. You might find as the weather warms up, he decides to use the other end. Most of my babies head off to the cooler end once the lights go out and snuggle together under the stick bridge or similar. Is he bedding down while the lights are still on? If so, try switching them off earlier and see if he chooses a different spot. Does the light source reach the cool end of the table? If not, this is where I find separates are better, in that a tube will light a larger area than a heat/uvb combined. I think you said you had a tube, but just in case not, it's worth considering. If you have one of those bendy neck desk lamps (around a fiver in argos or similar) it's worth putting one of those at the other end, to see if he uses more of the table then.  Good luck.

#10 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

He is the cutest ever. Off to get my hermann (going to call him sherman hehe) in next half hour. Im new to the forum too but looks ideal for helpful tips - been reading through the comments and these guys know what they are talking about..fantastic - will definitely be asking for help!!

#11 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Welcome to the forum Becca......and Laura too. X x x hugs x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users