My First Hermann Today

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

Have a look under our feeding section. There's a link to The Tortoise Trusts winter feeding guide http://www.tortoisetrust.org/enews/ which lists all the bagged salad items that you can safely use to bulk out your tortoises diet while you are still learning which weeds are safe to feed. :)

Look for bagged salads that contain escarole, radicchio, tatsoi, rocket, endive, lambs lettuce, red chard, mizuna, coriander, apollo lettuce, lollo rosso, lollo verde, baby red oak lettuce, green batavia lettuce, baby lollo biondi, tango lettuce and romaine.

#42 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

If you are going for a mixed bag of salad, the safest bet is Florette Crispy salad. There are lots of other varieties, but the Crispy one has all safe plants and a good mix of nourishment too - always add a supplement if indoors, such as Nekton MSA or similar.

#43 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

http://www.homebase....Number=648091.P

What would you suggest about this as I am struggling to find a non serilized top soil

#44 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Laura, I bought some of this earlier in the year and found that it contains lots of little stones to help with drainage. If you want stone-free, I'd recommend the topsoil from Wickes if there's one near you.

Also, you don't need non-sterilized; in fact, sterilized is better, you won't get rogue weeds growing in it.

#45 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

http://m.wickes.co.u...il-25L/p/200247

That one graham? Thanks for your help

#46 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

I also use this one and have had no problems with it. :)

#47 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

Yes, that's the one, Laura.

#48 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

Awesome...I will get some tomorrow.  I have got a plastic sheet to line the table when it arrives and some tacking nails. So once its all complete I will post a pic to show you all. Cheers for the advice!! :-) really helpful

#49 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

Dandelion stalks are fine Stella, they can eat the whole plant quite safely, but as part of a varied diet as they are slightly diuretic.

This is why I would suggest to a new owner not to feed the stalks. If you ask what weeds are commonly used to feed tortoises i would hazard a guess that 'dandelions' were high on the list, if not top of it. That white substance flows through a dandelions veins....the bigger the leaves the juicier the plant.....and the higher the chance of diuretics...

In my mind, by the time a tort has eaten leaves and flowers.....stalks are not necessary and can easily be avoided. If I would advise a food for a tortoise I would go directly to plantain..... Along with bits of everything else for a varied mixed diet x x x hugs x x

#50 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

You've not met my torts then Stella who go directly for the stems and stalks - all parts of the plant are safe but there is slightly more protein in the stalks. This is still within reasonable levels though and the calcium to phosphorous ratio in dandelions is excellent. In the wild they would gorge themselves on whatever is in season, including dandelions. The diuretic part is not an issue so long as hydration is optimum. Even buttercups are gorged on when new and plentiful with no ill effects. The whit sap in dandelions is latex and slightly irritant, supposedly good to cure warts,  but it's not that that is responsible for the diuretic side of things. Dandelions (all parts) are fine to use regularly in salads too and the flowers make a good wine.

#51 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hi guys. Just an update. This is my new table and sherman absolutely loves it!!!

Attached Files

#52 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

What a great little set-up, Laura, Sherman looks as though he's really settling in to his new home. What a good thing you decided to keep him; I know you were a bit disheartened at first, but I'm sure you feel much more confident now.

Just one thing though; do watch the temperatures of the slate under the lamp, it could get a bit too hot.

#53 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

Yes, agree with Graham, slate is great for feeding from but must never be kept under the lamps as it can dehydrate them very quickly if they fall asleep on it.

#54 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

Good idea Graham.. didn't put two and two together there!? I know what it's like when you stand on hot stones at beach with bare feet! I will move it now :) that will probs help with his food to stop it drying up quite so quick :-) thanks for the advice. .dont want to burn his little feet. My mum met him at the weekend and was amazed by how active he was as she used to have a tortoise :-)

#55 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

Yes, you don't want to put food under the lamps. In the wild, stuff in the open would be dried up and although they would eat some of it they would seek fresher stuff from shaded areas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users