• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

I am really new to this. How do you bathe a tortoise?  How often? At what temperature? How deep do you make the water?

Thanks for your help and sorry about all the questions! :-)

:thanks: 

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:47 AM

Just fill a bowl with luke warm water so that it goes to half way up their body, so that they can submerge their head if they want. Then leave them in for about 20 minutes. :)

#3 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

Awesome thanks for the advise I will do that tonight he was out in the sunshine in the garden yesterday hehe..whilst I observed him like an over protective mother!

#4 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

I just bathed my tortoise for the first time for 20 mins - he was dunking his head down into the water - I kept warming the water and he loved it!! He went to toilet.. I didn't think it would work but it really does!!

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

They go to the toilet while drinking, as in the wild they hang on to water for as long as possible because water is scarce. They replenish supplies when they can find a puddle or damp area to dig down into.

#6 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

He went for a poop too which I was supprised as I thought it was maybe not actually going to happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users