Photo

What Should I Put On The Base On My Tortoise Table?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

I currently have repti-turf substrate however someone mentioned about soil? Whats better and what are the advantages of using either? Thanks

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hi laura,id defo use topsoil as its cheap and holds good moisture keeping humidity levels up if watered regulary and for when they dig down at night too.its a natural substrate!ive never used the reptile-surf substrate so cant comment but try to keep their enviroment as close to thier natural habbitat as possible in captivity.
Regards matt

#3 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Hi matt, thanks for the help. I'm a little concerned about putting water into my wooden box as won't this rot this? And is it just normal soil you use? Or soil from a pet shop.. sorry about all the questions my torte is only been with me since Sunday :-)

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

Don't forget to line it with pond liner first, or it will rot when watered. Soil is always the best way to go, jut ordinary soil same as they would live in normally. No need to get sterilised as they need to get some immunity. A coddled tortoise will soon become a sick one ;)  Don't use sand as it can irritate eyes and keep well away from anything artificial, especially wood chips, anything pelleted or aspen. ;)

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

You can also seal tour tortoise tables with yacht varnish instead of using a liner. I have found that this protects the wood from the constant watering. I just reseal it on an annual basis.   :) 

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

Doesn't the water drip through the seams Kelly? Always open to new ideas. I do use a wood preservative, but have also always lined them.

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

Oh yess forgot to mention about the liner or as kelly says using some kind of sealant lol.yes i use just normal topsoil from my local garden center mixed with soil from the garden as sue said dont use sterilized as to me its pointless as their soil aint sterilized outside!water it every couple days or so with a watering can then it stays nice and damp beneath the surface!
Regards matt

#8 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

I added the liner under the soil - does the trick.. a combination between his new tortoise table and the top soil he seems 100% more active and happier in his new home. Thanks for your help guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users