42 replies to this topic

#1 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

Hi all,

I have a small enclosure outside in my garden where I place the tortoises on hot days (like today). However today I received a phone call from my mum to say that the female tortoise (I have a male and a female) is missing. We saw a small hole under the fence that we think she may have used to get under as there is no other way of escaping. Five of us searched for hours behind the garden where we think that she went through as well as the garden itself before deciding to give up because it was dark. We thought listening out for rustling wouldn't work as she was most likely asleep as it was dark and obviously cold and had most likely buried down to warm up. We used our pet dog to try and sniff her out as well as using the male tortoise to get a sense of which direction she may have taken, but we had no luck. I have left the house (the one used indoors for her to sleep in which she particularly likes) with some shredded paper and some tomatoes (again something she likes) out near where we think she may be, in the hope that she will return at some point, though I am not confident at all.

Please if you have any suggestions at all to help me find her that would be great,

Thanks a lot,
Daniel

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

Is it possible that she has dug down in the enclosure, at this time of year it is very possible. They know the nights are going to be cold, so dig down quickly.

#3 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

It's all pure grass, so it's unlikely that she would have done so without is noticing but I shall check now just in case.

Thanks

#4 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

As far as I can see, she hasn't dug down in the enclosure.

#5 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

Hi, im new to the forum but I read a post from a while ago.. think it was a few months the tortoise had disappeared for.  So dont give up hope on your torte.  Keep searching!!! And let us know :)

#6 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Thanks, I will do! Is she likely to stay close by? I'm not expert with tortoises so have no idea where she will sleep, or what she will eat. I hear that hermanns don't dig down as much as other tortoises, though in cold weather it is likely that she will.

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

That's right, digging down is very possible, especially if there are borders to the lawn. lawns are not really suitable habitats, so maybe she has tried to escape underneath a barrier. They have large territories, so if she has got out of the garden, it is not very likely that she will look for the hole and return, so you will have to extend your search further. You will need to get down to ground level, and do a finger tip search, often they are right there and without feeling around for her, it's very easy to miss. If she is lose, feeding will  not be a problem as she will eat wild food. Very often, when people find escaped tortoises, they report that they have gained weight. They have thrived for millions of years, so this would not be a problem. Good luck

#8 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

She got out of the enclosure (at the edge of the garden) and presumably, went under a small hole that we had noticed, so she is no longer in my garden, instead she is in a small (but larger than most back gardens) forest type place with a few trees and lots of soil, leaves and bugs. It slopes down with the trees at the top and everything else below, I have looked in all of the holes that she would normally like and I have dug through all of the soft soil that she would be able to bury down into, I still see no sign of her, so I am hoping if I keep looking for a couple or hours each day I will eventually find her buried slightly or even better, moving to her next preferred location.

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

Try putting some bits of tomato or crisp leaved lettuce out there which will show the familiar triangular shaped bites, if she has taken a nibble. If you get a sunny day, she will surely come out and have a look around. If she is contained in the garden and there are no other ways out, she will be found eventually.

#10 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

I have placed tomatoes everywhere, as they are her favourite, it's just a waiting game I guess, when it's next sunny I shall place some more fresh food out for her

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

I'd consider meanwhile constructing a permanent outdoor housing with heating, which also makes them feel more secure, as often when put out just on warm days, their first thought is to either hide away or escape, both of which are signs of stress and equally can have devastating results.

#12 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

We were going to put them in the shed in the garden and provide lighting and soil etc as a replacement for their indoor table, however they're both only 4 years old and rather small so we decided to wait until they're bigger.

#13 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

They need to be outdoors really and not in a shed, you can never give the same lighting in a shed. Most keepers put them outdoors in their first year as this is what would happen in nature. If they are still small there is a chance you will still find it close by.

#14 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the positivity, it's giving us a lot of hope! Once we have found her I shall definitely look into placing them outdoors.

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

Keep trying on hands and knees, there have been so m any times I have lost a tortoise and blamed the neighbours etc, only to find if I do a hands and knees and finger tip search, it is there all the time, usually hidden under a small clump of grass or plant. If my neighbours knew what has been blamed on them they would never speak to me again lol.

#16 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

We have been doing hands and knees, but the only trouble is, the place where we think ehe is, is really hard soil in some places and soft in the others, so iv dug through the sort soil and she isn't there, there are lots of trees so I have again looked around the branch of each tree in the soil hoping to find her but still nothing. I put my male tortoise out because I read online that makes are very good at locating females, he went in quite far into a pile of old twigs so I had to stop him, is it possible that he foiled have been walking towards her?

#17 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

Here are some pictures are where she might be, bare in mind they it looked a lot different to this before we all started digging through twigs and soil etc

Attached Files

#18 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hi danny,your male was most probs just trying to escape and explore but if it was me id turn over the pile of sticks and leaves in the second picture as that would be an ideal place for them to go and hide out for the winter

#19 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

I agree with Matt, it could easily be hidden under all that undergrowth. Have a look at leaves for those tell tale bite marks. Your fence in the first picture shows that the escape could have been anywhere along that edge as you really need to have a barrier below ground level. It's very hard to see where they have dug as the soil closes in behind them rather than leaving a hole.

#20 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

I agree sue,she should be up and about now with this mild weather so definatly keep and eye out for eaten leaves and little tracts through the under growth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users